Saturday, April 13, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,488 – (Saturday) – bangs, cheese, sequins

There were big doings today. I woke up thinking it was Sunday and that I had forgotten to call Mom about something on Saturday. There was a moment of panic until I realized it was Saturday and I needed to get up for my hair salon appointment and had plenty of time to call Mom.

At the salon, my stylist and I reviewed photos and talked about what to do on my head next. The photos were of some of my past haircuts, so at least we knew they would work with my hair eventually, if not today. One thing under consideration was the return of my very long layers, the other was bangs, or as the British call it, “a fringe.” I loved having bangs when I wore contacts, but I am usually less keen  on them with glasses. On me. When I see other women with bangs and glasses I think they look great while my bangs often take on a life of their own over which I have no control.

Due to some imbalances where the hair is growing back in the bald spots from my dalliance with alopecia (likely from COVID, and thank the good scientists and dermatologists for the steroid scalp injections), long layers were ruled out for now. It was bangs for the win to change up the look. Full bangs, but not blunt. My stylist is amazing and I love it when we have a plan. 

Bread cheese!
After the salon, it was the Worcester Lincoln Street trifecta – Savers, Aldi, and Kohl’s. Having three of my favorite places in one area was almost enough to convince me to move back to Worcester. The commute to work was the top reason not to. There were scores at all three places, but there were a couple standouts. 

Aldi had bread cheese which I’ve heard about in Finnish groups and wanted to try for ages, but it's just not the sort thing that is widely available. Enter Aldi.  

Leipäjuusto (the Finnish word) looks a bit like grilled bread and is also called “squeaky cheese” because it squeaks on the teeth when bitten. It’s often eaten warm, topped with honey or cloudberry jam and sometimes is even dunked in coffee. I can't wait for the bread cheese adventure and if it's as good as the cheese curds at Aldi, I plan to return and stock up. 

Need a game
show host?
The big clearance rack score at Kohl’s was a sequin suit. My best guess at explaining my adult fascination with sequins has two parts. There are the ballet costumes I got to wear beginning at age six, coupled with not being allowed to wear them on anything else. Mummu always gently steered me away from the sequin clothing in stores and actually said it was so I wouldn’t “grow up to be gaudy.” 

Now I make up for it on my own terms. There are belly dance costumes and a closet full of sequin jackets, pants, tops, and rhinestone encrusted boots, just in case. If anyone needs a fill-in game show host or a gala seat filler, I probably have the outfit. Call me. 

2 comments: