Wednesday, April 10, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,485 – (Wednesday) – miscellanea

Siblings, together on a day in 2017.
It was an exhausting day. Before I even left for work, I’d already dealt with a big ball of sadness seeing on Facebook that it’s “Siblings Day” and I’m a sibling short since my brother chose to check himself out of The Game of Life. 

The sadness is always there, just below the surface, like a low-grade fever. It randomly spikes, and predictably explodes after a stimulus like a holiday, birthday, song, memory, or seeing a reference for a designated day like “Siblings Day.” 

From there, the day continued on a path of highs and lows. Before leaving for work there were frustrations with videos and Spotify playlists. The traffic on the way to work was borderline miserable with moderate cussing. Taking the long way from the garage to the office was a therapeutic walk, achieving a personal best speed for walking on bricks that helped to blow off steam.

Yummy gyro wrap platter.
Work was busy with a dose of stress and a topping of headaches. My desk phone wouldn’t let me log in and I couldn’t find some files worked on yesterday, but at least I didn’t have a nosebleed in the office like last Friday. The folks on my floor went out for lunch to a local restaurant, the first time in my nearly eight years there. The choice was Athenian Corner for Greek food. So yummy.

After lunch, a very helpful creative planning meeting was followed by delivery of a completed different project that finally let me cross something off the list this week. The headache lingered. After work, with zero interest in cooking, it was cookies and Lemon Zinger tea for supper while crashing on the couch half-watching an over-acted drama on Netflix.

Days ago, I decided the show, The Marked Heart, was really dumb, with people making an extraordinary number of really bad decisions and acting that is over the top, but I can’t stop watching it. One not-so-brilliant decision in one of tonight’s episodes involved a woman who was being held captive in a mansion by her husband. There is an automated system of bars on the windows and bolted doors, and this rocket scientist decides to set the place she already knows she can’t escape from on fire. Seriously? Of course she was rescued.

While I critiqued the steady flow of bad acting and crappy decisions, Kiki reclined on the stairs, avoiding and ignoring me. She granted me about one minute of stroking her cheek and telling her how fabulous she is while the tea water heated in the microwave. When I fetched the mug, she disappeared, but at least I had that one minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment