Wednesday, September 27, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,289 – (Wednesday) – random tourist

Old State House, Boston
9-27-2015
On September 27, 2015, a friend I had met while living in Tennessee posted on Facebook a photo in Boston. I messaged to ask if she was currently in the city and how long she was staying, then dashed out of Mom's house (where the dogs and I were staying), to meet her and her friends in the city. I caught up with them at the Old State House, which was a stop on a walking tour they were doing. 

Together, we continued on the walking tour and touristy things. We saw historic buildings that I’d walked past countless times and to which I likely hadn’t paid much attention beyond a literal passing thought. Chances are I was probably on my way to someplace at my normal White Rabbit “I’m late for a very important date” walking speed.

When I was in high school, my dance teacher trained us in city walking, in preparation for when we had auditions with dance companies in New York City. We practiced walking across the studio, head up, eyes straight ahead, at a pace that signaled confidence and that we knew where we were going, even though we didn't. 

At the Harbor.
Sadly, I never got to walk in a city on my way to any dance auditions. My only dance audition was at UMASS Amherst and Mom drove me there. In any event, I sure did embrace the walking style, and even now, sometimes blow past a lot of cool things in the process.

That long ago day as a Boston tourist with my Tennessee friend and her friends was a great time. Included in the touristy historic things was a boat ride in the harbor and a visit to the iconic Parker House, a Boston landmark since 1855. Surrounded by wood paneling, windows, and history, we talked and laughed and sipped beverages with light appetizers in the birthplace of Boston Cream Pie and the famous Parker House Rolls. Seeing the city through fresh eyes with a visiting friend is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment