Monday, September 11, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,273 – (Monday) – day trippin' 2

Such a good cuddle buddy.
Monday morning featured the continuation of cuddles with "such a good boy" Jett, supreme bed hog. There was an amazing breakfast of coffee with creamer and maple syrup which is really tasty, plus toast with cream cheese and salmon. It was delicious and fortifying. There was more relaxed conversation with my friend, and suddenly it was nearly 2:00 and time to leave my friend and the dog and head home. 

The ride back from Freeport was as breezy and uneventful as the ride there. The songs on the radio were good and today’s extra loud car singing was done to Matisyahu’s “One Day.” I am a terrific singer when alone in the car. Very confident. Very loud. Probably completely off-key or pitchy or some other musical term I don’t actually know about or how to correct, but there is no audience and I don’t care.

The route was from Freeport to Fitchburg and a mission to get to the vet’s office to pick up the mementoes of Winston. There was a clay piece and ink impressions I was expecting plus two tiny vials and a sympathy card from the office which I wasn’t expecting. Tears were trying very hard to escape as I headed to the car and threatened to flow while I stuffed the items into my purse and began driving. Historically, if the tears are going to flow, they usually try that crap when I’m in the car and the risk to safety is highest.

The rain began as Fitchburg and Leominster slipped past and entered the rearview mirror. After getting gas and as I approached Arisu, the Korean restaurant on Route 12, I considered stopping for some kim bap and bi bim bap. The time was checked, the hunger level was not sufficient, and I kept driving to attempt to beat the 5:00 traffic. The traffic volume heading east on Route 2 at 4:30 wasn’t too awful compared to sections of the westbound lanes and I landed safely in the driveway at 5:00.

Facebook posts a short time later revealed that I dodged more than just traffic volume. The rain hit with some serious volume and resulted in flash flooding on the highway and elsewhere in Fitchburg and Leominster. Sometimes I get lucky and/or gut instincts are on target and I’m grateful for it.

Hours after arriving home, I took a minute to look at the items from the vet. The two vials seem to contain some of his hair. That and his little prints of his toes and the kind words from the veterinary office and I lost it. 

At least while home on the couch it was safe to cry. Much safer than when hurtling down a highway in a downpour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment