Friday, September 29, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,291 – (Friday) – solitude in the suite

The day at the office started with a slight adrenaline rush. As I opened the door from the stairwell into the suite, I was greeted with the tone of the security alarm, an unusual situation. I semi-frantically punched a code into the panel hoping it was actually my code, or any other code that might work to stop the alarm. That is when it was fully registered I was the first to arrive. There was hope that I wouldn’t be the only one in the office today, but the joke was on me, ha ha ha. I was the sole occupant of the entire fourth floor. All Day. It felt like a punishment of the most solitary variety.

With the silence inside the office and the rain tapping on the skylights as a backdrop, I went through my work list. There also may have been some stomping around in a bit of a huff while taking care of stupid tasks that seem to go undone for way too long. The coffee cups, plastic utensils, and napkins were restocked and the now-empty box the cups had been in was flattened for the trash.

Lunch from home,
at the office.
Lunch was a splendid treat of spanakopita twirl, stuffed grape leaves and Kalamata olives enjoyed in deafening peace and quiet at the desk. 

Finally, after a workday packed with all the glamour and excitement of a solitary day downtown on yet another rainy day, it was time to leave. The loneliness of the solitary office suite was exchanged for the route home with too many other drivers. And the work week was done. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment