Thursday, April 8, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 388 (Thursday)

Bleeding Hearts last year.
The weather was so nice today that it inspired yard work. The Bleeding Heart plant that I love near the front door had grown huge by last summer, and the plan was to split it. The timing was right today, with the first shoots just coming up. It was tougher than expected, and the remaining trowel that survived last summer’s transplanting of irises, lilies, and hosta nearly succumbed to today’s activities. It is definitely time to invest in some gardening tools. Maybe this year I’ll spring for something from a proper gardening center instead of Family Dollar.  

As of this evening, there are several Bleeding Heart plants in the back yard. Two are near the lilac bush that looks like it may finally bloom this year. Some of the over crowded irises near the shed were also dug up and relocated to the new flower bed edged out last year. The only problem is I forgot what I planted there already and where, so it may get a bit crowded when things start popping up, assuming the mid-summer transplants took.

Bleeding Heart shoots
 before the split.
I headed outside immediately after finishing work, without changing out of the pale pink cotton sweater I had on in an attempt to look “presentable” for video meetings today. At one point, I reflexively shoved the dirty tools and gloves under my arm and got dirt all over the sleeve and body of the sweater, and another time, I pushed my sleeves up with the dirty gloved hands, as if wearing my usual yard sweatshirt. Oops.

Two of the deck chairs were hauled out from the shed so the next time I want to sit outside, I can do it in comfort instead of on a stone step. The table was stored in the shed for the first time this winter and it will take a while to get the parts out and reassemble it, so that will wait for now.

Baby steps. An iris here, a plant there, a deck chair or two. The table and umbrella and the other two chairs. It will get done. All in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment