Saturday, April 10, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 390 (Saturday)

It was another beautiful day and now I’m just waiting “for the other shoe to drop.” We’ve had three or four consecutive days with beautiful spring weather. The heat has been off and the windows open, but this is no time to drop the guard. This is New England and it's only April, so any minute now there could be a blizzard or a raging ice storm. When I was in high school we had a snow day in May, and ever since then I’ve had a deep suspicion of spring. There always seems to be a trick or two lurking in the freshly blooming forsythia.

Super cool, probably not practical
car like this was seen on 495N.
The beautiful day was spent driving to Worcester for a freshening of the hairdo and back, which afforded a prime opportunity to scrutinize cars in traffic and try to find something, anything at all actually,  with a body style I like. There were two! And the bad news is, one was a super cool tan-colored 1965 Barracuda – which I only know from the very helpful license plate “65 CUDA” and "Barracuda" on the side. I followed it on 495 for a while, just to check it out. This would probably not be a practical car for me and the dogs.

I was also noticing Jeeps, which, beside the beautiful Mercedes Benz SUV on the Honda lot a few weeks ago, seem to be the only other vehicle with a shape I like. Any time I saw a Jeep nearby, I tried to get alongside it to see the model, because “4 x 4” seems to be on the back of every single one of them and isn’t helpful. Today I saw two Jeeps I really liked. Both were "Liberty."

When I got home, I looked up "Jeep Liberty" and they haven’t been made for the US market since about 2012 due to not meeting emissions standards. Also, the gas mileage is abysmal at 16 mpg city/22 highway. Looks like my 17-year old car will be hanging around for another 17 years at this rate. 

Cute neighbor puppy
 wants to play.
I checked the new Jeep models online and I like the newer Renegade - in blue, but according to the online inventory, it looks like every lot in the area either sold all theirs, didn't get any, or don't put all their inventory online. There are plenty of the other models I don't care for. It's feeling like I'm already over the car shopping thing. This is why I don't have new things. It's too much work.

Realizing there was no need to dash off to a car lot to see a model that isn’t currently in production or is in production but doesn't seem to exist locally, I sat on the sunny deck, wandered the yard (which is really quick because it’s the size of a postage stamp), and patted the neighbor dogs through the fence. 

Again, new neighbor puppy was all about the socializing, while Winston was a bit timid and Moose was aloof, bordering on outright antisocial. He also kept a watch on me to make sure I didn’t get too familiar with new puppy, who was acting like he might try to tunnel his way under the fence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment