Thursday, April 22, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 402 (Thursday)

It was another work day spent against the ropes from start to finish and it was not fun. In spite of the issues and the never-ending edits and the project that just won’t go away, at least several other things were accomplished without incident.

While wrapping up what better be the last of the changes to the used to be fun, now I just want to cry project, there was an assertive knock on the front door. The dogs went from napping to yapping in about 2.5 seconds flat. They leapt from their beds in the kitchen and careened towards the door.  Their too-long-because-they-won’t-let-me-trim-them toenails clacked on the wood floors. As they ran, the tone of the barking changed from cute, tiny squeak toys to tiny squeak toys trying to sound ferocious.

There was a delivery man from the company with the Big Brown Trucks standing in the enclosed porch. This was not a surprise, as a message had come in the other day that a package requiring a signature would be arriving today, and another message today providing a delivery window. 

The package was set on the kitchen table to be dealt with later, as I was currently up to my armpits in flames as I continued to put out fires. It was my five-year anniversary gift from work. 

Anniversary!
After work and supper, I finally opened the box. The watch, chosen based solely on a photo and the most minimal description along the lines of “ladies watch,” is really nice and I love the separate logo charm because, yes, I have a charm bracelet. The watch is too loose on my bony, twig-like wrist, so it will need to be adjusted because I can’t figure out how to do it myself.

It turns out, the company I work for treats me better on a five-year anniversary than one of the husbands I reached that benchmark with. The first ex-husband pulled out all the stops at the five year anniversary with jewelry, but I can’t recall celebrating the five-year thing at all with X2. It’s a pretty good bet it involved his favorite “date night” activity -- walking around the Rural King farm supply store for the free popcorn and coffee they always had available. No, we were not farmers, but the store was close to where we lived. It was cute the first time, before I knew it was the only thing he would ever want to do on Saturday night for the next seven years. So yes, the nice watch from work feels special.

No comments:

Post a Comment