Saturday, April 17, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 397 (Saturday)

Finally hung my wall
at The Brush.
Seventeen days into my first quarter as an associate artist at The Brush Art Gallery and Studios, I finally got my work delivered to be available for sale, which is pretty much the entire point of the exercise. The delivery delay was 100% due to my own processing procrastination.

The acrylic shelves I ordered came quickly, as did the labels and business cards. Most of the work was already framed or matted and protected in plastic sleeves, and ready to go the first weekend of April, except for the prices. The prices were finally noted on the tags and without overthinking it any further, today it was hung. It required banging photo hangers into the wall and screwing screws to attach the acrylic shelves. It went very well. The shelves could be both longer and deeper and may be swapped out for new ones. At a minimum, I need at least one more. 

Once back home, still riding the wave of banging nails and hanging stuff, I finally hung the kitchen wall. For at least a month and probably longer, the wall had been stripped since the replacement of the large clock with a smaller one. Paper templates had been hung with painter’s tape for the placement of the several pieces. It was rearranged several times, including as recently as Friday. When I entered the kitchen this morning and didn’t hate the arrangement marked in paper, it felt like there was finally a winner.

This is a pain to work with/around.
The nailing and hanging at home did not go as smoothly as it did at the gallery. Behind one of the pieces now hung in the kitchen are at least four errant nail holes. Part of the difficulty is trying to cover a relic of the olden days permanently affixed to the wall – a wall mount phone jack, which protrudes nearly a quarter inch from the wall. Some of the frames aren’t deep enough to set over the impediment on the wall, limiting the options. I took the panel off, but that left a hole with phone wires, which is not really better. 

There are two more spaces to fill and that wall will be done, except for the crying over the excess nail holes and a couple frames that are hung too close together and will probably drive me insane.  Maybe tomorrow. After making so many mistake holes today, it was time to quit, for the sake of both the wall and my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment