Monday, August 31, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 116 / Day 168


Closing Day 8-31-2016.
On this date in 2016, thanks to an amazing realtor and equally amazing mortgage lender, I closed on The BungaLowell. It was a long haul trying to find a property. After months of looking in one area, there was a geographic shift when I got my job in Lowell. After a couple months of having viewing appointments cancelled because the houses went under contract, we got to see The BungaLowell. I was the first person to see it on the first day of showings and pounced. It was available, the right size for me and the dogs, and had off-street parking.


Thanks to an amazing level of expertise and hard labor from friends starting immediately after the closing, we got the house ready for me to live in. The entire house had wall-to-wall carpeting. Even the kitchen. (Who does that?) My friend Cris and I ripped out all the first-floor carpeting, then her husband with mad skills laid plywood flooring that Cris and I coated with polyurethane. I still love the floors, which are miraculously holding up pretty well despite the ruinous efforts of two sometimes naughty dogs with the too-long toenails they won’t let me trim.


The BungaLowell
after four years.
After the stunningly productive start, momentum dropped off drastically. The kitchen wall paper was stripped off during the first year, and after two years the walls were finally painted. The yard got new picket fencing this summer but the deck rail is still loose. The guest room, originally imagined as a cozy space for hosting visiting friends, is still a storage room stuffed with art supplies and other stuff, but at least the living room has the futon which has provided sleeping space for the rare guests.

Maybe in the next four years I’ll get around to dealing with the spare room instead of pretending it doesn’t exist. Or maybe I’ll just move, preferably to somewhere not in a flood plain. Heck, all the art stuff is still packed and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment