Monday, August 10, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 147 (Monday)



Vacation Monday and not a single plan on the calendar. This was by design. Woke up at the normal time thanks to Moose, aka “Little Big Ben” and his amazing timekeeping abilities. Come hell or high water, workday or holiday, he has us up by 6:00 a.m. Sometimes I can trick him back to bed, other times it isn’t worth the effort. This morning it was not worth the effort. Besides, I figured I might as well have a vacation day that is as long as a work day instead of sleeping it away.

It was all the usual stuff during the morning all the way up until I didn’t go to my desk and log in to the work system. Then there was more morning Internet news on the porch, and more reading a book in the house. Mom and I talked on the phone and made plans for later in the week.

Not a creature was stirring ...
While I binge watched a Netflix Korean drama I started Sunday night, the dogs laid around and slept most of the day, Moose on the couch, Winston on the floor. Usually when I have the TV on, I’m also writing, playing Candy Crush on my phone in five minute spurts until I’m out of lives, reading Facebook or various news outlets on my phone and/or computer, or some other form of half-assed multitasking. This is not possible with a K-Drama as I need to read the subtitles.

A couple things stand out across my many, many hours of watching many K-Dramas. First, there is the very formulaic scripting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a K-Drama that did not include a male giving a drunk female a piggy back ride home up a very steep and narrow street. Ok, maybe not the old-timey period pieces set in a palace, but it definitely happens in all the stories set in modern times. It must be some law of K-Dramas.

Eight slices, eight totally
different toppings. Yes, please.
The second thing is that the folks at Subway must have a big sponsorship deal going on with Netflix and the entire Korean TV industry. The major non-Korean food in any and all dramas seems to be Subway – with a long establishing shot capturing the Subway shop and branding. Any time the characters aren’t eating Korean food or drinking coffee (Iced Americano is popular) they are eating Subway sandwiches from the branded wrapping paper. The show I’m watching now ("It’s Okay to Not Be Okay") also has a twist with a pizza shop. I’m intrigued by the pizza coming out of this place. Eight slices, but each slice has its own unique toppings! Where in America can I get that, please? Seriously. Tell me, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment