Friday, August 14, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 151 (Friday)



This period of Monday through Friday staycation has been the fastest five day stretch possibly ever in the many, (too) many decades of my life. It blew by faster than the fastest workweek, as fast as any amazing good time, and happened without a busy schedule of many (ha, any!) activities. So much for recreating the long, lazy, bordering on bored summer days of my youth. I don’t understand. I feel robbed. Of the three books and two new puzzles ready for the staycation entertainment plan, I’ve made it only halfway through the first book. The puzzles are still wrapped in plastic.

There was a morning trip downtown today, for a quick medical appointment scheduled at the last appointment in May. There was time to walk around a bit before the appointment, and things have changed. For one thing, Fabiano’s, the pizza and sub shop with the eggplant subs I like is emptied and the sign is gone. My 10:00 appointment was just a shot and done in ten minutes. My arm has hurt since, but from what I understand, it’s much less than the pain of shingles the shot will prevent. 

Lowell has cool old buildings.
History, baby!
While still downtown, I finally remembered to pick up my painting from the art fundraiser last month. Unfortunately, my arrival at the gallery a block or so from the doctor’s office turned out to be 45 minutes too early for it to be open. There was time to take some photos with the cell phone camera, and when that lost interest, it was time to head home. Outside the parking garage, a broken-down car was partially blocking one of the exit lanes and almost ready to be towed. Almost as in, the tow truck was just pulling up across the street. At my car, the A/C was turned on and a couple Finnish lessons done until it seemed long enough for the car to be gone. It worked.

White wine o'clock!
Back at home, the stomach rumbling and realization that breakfast never happened led to the immediate undertaking of a veggie stir fry with balsamic. The recent abandonment of actual suppers in favor of ice cream has the fridge loaded with currently fresh veggies, but they won’t stay that way forever and it's time to get busy. Of course, I was wearing a white shirt during the cooking/eating, and of course, it now has balsamic vinegar splashed on it. Based on a lengthy track record, that should have been seen from a mile away and prepared for. Last night, a white cloth napkin was stained with chocolate ice cream and half of my pants now have olive oil on them, so I’m really customizing the wardrobe and linens with food stains.

Now it’s wine o’clock and time to kick back, but I have learned my lesson today. It’s white wine, so when I spill it on everything, at least it won’t stain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment