Sunday, August 30, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 167 (Sunday)


Not perfect, but done.
Super sunny breezy (windy?) day meant time out in the yard. The free stones from Neighbor Guy’s wall dismantling project  had been sitting in stacks near the A/C unit all summer. Like, since June. I hadn’t figured out what I wanted to do with them, but today just felt like the right time to dive in and do something.

Stones were schlepped across the yard to make a flower bed edging. If a better use comes up, they can always be taken out and moved again. It was done with a trowel and no guide string to keep it straight, so unfortunately, it bows out a bit. It will stay that way until it makes me crazy enough to straighten it.

There was some branch trimming done to minimize the backyard neighbor tree branches that hang over my yard and rub on my shed. I cut what could be reached from the ground with loppers and wished I wasn't too lazy to haul out the ladder.

Over in the front yard, the bleeding heart near the door is in need of thinning. According to some gardening sites, spring is the best time for that, just as the shoots are coming up, so that’s on the list for next year. I hope I remember the plan then. The rhododendron has a gajillion buds set for next year. There were very few blossoms this year, due to last year’s poorly timed trim. I have since learned that after the next year’s buds have set is the wrong time for to trim. Live and learn. Luckily, plants can be forgiving.

Overgrown bleeding heart
and reset bricks and pavers.
The bricks and pavers under the mailbox suffered a necessary disruption with the fence post digging, and were finally rearranged today. Some flower pots will finish it off, but not today. It’s amazing how much can be done just by stepping outside. The weather helped a lot.

Between schlepping the stones, trimming the branches, and pulling weeds, my legs are aching from lifting and squatting and my arms feel like twitchy noodles. If I did manual labor as frequently as I should, I might actually be in shape instead of being all soft and squishy. I miss being in shape but not the effort required to get that way.

After the discovery that Ben & Jerry’s is on sale at Hannaford, there was a quick road trip. A new favorite flavor has joined the ranks of preferred ice cream. “Everything but the” is pretty danged good, especially with a side of Tri-Sum potato chips, which is the other big reason to shop Hannaford. If only the store near me had beer and wine it would be perfect. Sigh.

The place where terror comes from.
And in the horror department, even though it is only August, a mouse just darted out from under the coat closet door. This has left me frozen on the couch in a mental state somewhere between horrified, scientifically interested, and ready to burn down the house. Physically, I want to barf. And cry. I may never sleep again. 

Like I already said, every good day seems to be offset by some fresh load of crap, according to that weird cosmic law.


No comments:

Post a Comment