Monday, February 26, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,441 – (Monday) – banned and benefits

Peeking out from
the hidey bed.
Banning Kiki from the bedroom continues to deliver results. Today, she finally noticed her little hidey-hole bed that has sat under the buffet for a week with the tag still on it. It was almost an accident that I saw her peering out at me with one eye. Once I saw her, and she saw that  I had seen her, she vacated the little hut and I felt like I’d stolen her joy. At least I finally removed the tag. 

Later, she was curled up on the living room chair, where she remained for several hours. Being banned from the bedroom is becoming the gift that keeps in giving. To me, anyway. Kiki (sometimes also now called "Keeks") let me pop into the room a couple times to say “Hi, Kiki,” and didn’t move until I came into the living room with my supper and she ran behind the couch. 

About that supper … It was an adventure in two attempts. The planned meal was leftover rice, veggies, and chicken which had been baked with cream of mushroom soup and cheese. I heated a plate of it, and as I lowered it from the lofty, NBA player height microwave mounted over the stove, the plate flipped and the whole thing landed on the floor. Somehow, the plate didn’t break, but there was rice and sauce dripping from the stove, down the front of the oven door, and in a mess on the floor.

Supper down.
Perhaps the biggest surprise is that this hadn’t happened before. The blessing was that it wasn’t a bowl of scalding hot soup. It may be an economical use of kitchen space mounting the microwave up high, but huge chunks of the adult population can’t even reach it. And then there is the potential hot lava flow for everyone. 

The most surprising element of the entire mess was that I didn't swear. I just got busy cleaning it up. Perhaps Kiki is turning me into a more civilized human. 

After the mess was cleaned up, the last bit of the stuff in the baking dish, intended for Tuesday’s lunch, was heated up for take two of Monday’s supper. By then, I had already decided against attending salsa class. There was no real reason to blow it off beyond aggravation. If there had been anyone around to bounce the idea off, I would have attended class as intended when I signed up four weeks ago. Instead, it was slacker-ville and watching Emily in Paris on Netflix. Again.

After hauling in the recently delivered cat food and treats from the front steps, I checked for Kiki, who hadn’t been seen or heard from for at least an hour. She was reclining on the stairs, and let me stroke her cheeks and head and massage her shoulders. She is such a little sweetheart and I am smitten. And a bit less sweary.

2 comments: