Sunday, October 29, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,321 – (Sunday) – fighting inertia

Vacation was quite restful, but that hasn't stopped me from feeling exhausted since returning. Sundays are the day I usually get to sleep late, getting up at 7:00 instead of 6:00, but today it was 40 minutes of the snooze alarm before I could drag myself from bed. That allowed for less time to sit around reading news and drinking coffee before leaving for dance class.

I almost let myself slip into the inertia of not going to class. I even imagined the message I would send to say I wasn’t attending, but I couldn't find a way to make "I'm not coming because I'm a lazy slug" seem less pathetic.

Like with traveling, it wasn’t being at class that was the problem, it was the getting to class that was. In the end, I knew I’d be happier at class than home feeling guilty for not going, changed into studio clothes, got into the car, and drove to class. The drive featured some colorful leaves interspersed with evergreens and bare trees and was quite pretty. 

New books for writing
 in and reading.
After class and performance group, there was a quick visit with my sister, a stop at the gas station, and a visit to Ocean State Job Lot. The 2024 journal books arrived there a few weeks ago, and I didn’t have time to get one before leaving for vacation. It was lucky I got there today, because there were only four left in the style I like. 

After Ocean State, it was a trip across the parking lot to Barnes & Noble. I wanted the new book written by local author Mark Bodanza about Johnny Appleseed, inhabitant of my own family tree and ancestry. 

It seems like no Sunday is complete without a stop at Market Basket. Thankfully. Today’s trip was quick and inexpensive – five items and $17. When I finally arrived home at nearly 3:00 it finally dawned on me that I hadn’t eaten all day. No granola bar before dance class, no snack in the car after dance class, no racing home for lunch.

Surprisingly, I didn’t feel especially hungry while in the grocery store, but it didn’t last long. Within a few minutes of arriving home, I was boiling water for rice and chopping onions and mushrooms. By 4:00, I had cooked and eaten sautéed salmon chunks on a bed of rice with sautéed onions and mushrooms. By 5:00, it felt like bedtime. By 6:00 it felt like midnight.

The only thing keeping me still up and going was the marathon of Season 1 of The Gilded Age on HBO2 in preparation for the start of Season 2 tonight.  It’s a costume drama focused on the rich society folks of 1880s New York, and the cultural shift and rivalries of the old money and the new. It’s certainly glamourous with the costumes and homes. 

It’s looking less and less likely that I’ll last long enough to even see the new episode at 9:00, but that is what the modern marvel of On Demand is for. It feels so primitive when I think back to college when I would arrange social plans for after specific TV shows. They aired once and if you missed them, well, too bad. Times have changed. Thank goodness. 

2 comments:

  1. I bought the book about Johnny appleseed and Mr Bodanza did a good job . He gave history as well as the travels of Johnny.It was the best book written because it gave a lot of history and a more realistic story . You will enjoy it

    ReplyDelete