Monday, October 9, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,301 – (Monday) – holiday

The Monday holiday had no plans except for making sure the trash and yard waste were put before 7 a.m. because I neglected to set them out on Sunday. At 6:00 I woke up, still tired, and ran through the consequence of not going outside to deal with the trash. I rarely have a full bag, so volume in the trash bin is not an issue, but the yard waste bin was full and that pickup is only bi-weekly.

The fluffy purple winter bathrobe was slipped on over the pajamas and I padded down the stairs in slippers to bag the trash, drop it in the bin, and roll it to the curb. The yard waste was set out, and it was back to bed, after noticing a beautiful dark blue sky with bright stars. The best thing about holidays is not having to get up for work, and it was 8:00 before I woke up again.

There was coffee and news and trying to wake up. When getting up to refill the coffee mug, my glasses, not needed for reading, slid to the floor and I stepped on them and broke the arm. Errrrr. Thank goodness I have a gajillion pairs so I don’t have to wear taped together glasses.

And suddenly the morning was nearly over.

The afternoon featured nearly all the laundry being done, plus the drapes from the dining room sliders. There was vacuuming and some dusting. There was the putting away of dance costumes and makeup and jewelry. Vegetable stock was started.

After looking online over a period of a couple months, a car was finally rented for the Vegas vacation. Interesting note about car rentals – the alleged discount offered seems to be irrelevant and the prices are the same. I’ve checked pricing through AAA, a work discount, credit card company discounts, through the airline, and straight to the rental company sites. The rates are pretty much the same, but going through the airline linked the pickup and drop off times to the flight info and will earn airfare points for each day of the rental. The airport shuttle tickets were bought.

Perfect cast iron crisp.
Drapes were taken down, washed, dried, and rehung. The original plan was new drapes, but when they arrived from Amazon it didn't quite work out. Dry clean only pants and silk scarves in the laundry basket for close to forever were cleaned with Dryel. 

Most of the day’s efforts were the invisible kind of work. Things that if I hadn’t done it myself, wouldn’t know had been done. I hate that kind of work.

And suddenly, the day was over. At suppertime, there was rifling through the freezer and cabinet before deciding on a grilled cheese on marble rye with caramelized onions and lightly grilled apple slices. The cast iron fry pan and I are getting along better, and the grilled crisp on the bread was perfect. That felt like more of an accomplishment than all the other tasks of the day and the best part was I could eat it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment