Friday, June 2, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,172 – (Friday) – headache and stuff

The day, like the weather, was a roller coaster. The ride to work was sunny and mildly annoying, with morning traffic that was heavier than the usual Friday. The after work route took me right into the jaws of a traffic jam at the Tsongas Center where the many dark blue graduation gowns provided clues to the reason for the volume.

A room full of bargain books.
Breakfast was Greek yogurt with blueberries and strawberries from the freezer. It was creamy and delicious and soon followed by a headache which stuck around all day and night. My cheekbones ached and eye sockets felt like they were throbbing. It didn't help that I was clenching my jaw while trying to chip away at the long to do list.

In the early afternoon, there was a trek outside to try and shake the headache. A stop at the library book sale, which I had forgotten about until I was outside, was a mild diversion.

Four more books that won’t fit in any bookcases in the house were acquired from the thousands available. Clearly, it's time to get more bookcases. I browsed the perimeter of the room with well marked sections including foreign, travel, hobby, literature, and local, and avoided the sea of fiction in the center which felt overwhelming in its vastness. Of my acquisitions, the most amusing title is Uppity Women of Ancient Times.

It was another morning where I saw a weather report of "hot," stopped reading, and ditched the umbrella. As the afternoon clouds darkened, doubt set in. When the skies opened opened at 4:15, there was regret. It’s amazing how little I learned after the last sunny day that turned into a waterfall.

Chartreuse puddle.
At home, the rosebush has begun blooming with bright red blossoms, but the few annuals bought have died in less than a week. The downpour magically replenished the big puddle at the end of the driveway, which was fascinating with its chartreuse coat. I can only guess what the neighbors were thinking if they saw me squatting near the pollen puddle taking pictures. Twice. It seems I may be on the way to the title of the crazy lady at the end of the street. 

The thunder rumbled during the evening. By the time darkness fell, so had the temperature and the afternoon high around 90 degrees had dropped to a refreshing 65. One forecast has the temperature at a record low for Saturday. Bundle up!

No comments:

Post a Comment