Thursday, August 25, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 900 / 891 (Thursday) – wait, what day?

I woke up thinking it was Day 900 of this thing. Wrong! Holy moley. It turns out an audit was needed.

A discrepancy was discovered by accident with a Google check of “900 days” to see if there was any significance to the number 900 or the concept of 900 days. One entry in the results to the query “900 days” was “900 days before today” and I clicked on it. 

It turns out that 900 days before today was Sunday, March 8, and if there is one thing I know it is that this little misadventure didn’t start until Tuesday, March 17.

Oops. Date skip.
A quick and clearly very tardy mathematical check indicated today, Thursday, August 25, 2022 is Day 891. What. The. Heck. As noted aloud several times in the past couple years, I’ve lost all concept of time. Clearly, this isn’t hyperbole. It’s true. 

Now what? A choice needed to be made. One option was to correct the day count for today and move on. Another option was to hold at Day 900 in some sort of Groundhog Day movie remake until it’s finally, correctly Day 900. The day count was rolled back to the correct number. 

When did this miscount happen? And how? This is the sort of thing that will be stuck in my head and keep me awake at night until I find out what went wrong. Aware of the impending insanity, titles and day counts were scanned in the monthly listings. Would there be an obvious transposition and sudden jump of nine days that would be noticed? When could it have been?

No transposition was found in a quick scan, but it’s not like I was checking a column of numbers on a spreadsheet. Around the time I was thinking I’d probably be building a spreadsheet to log dates and entries, I started spot checking months and tallies.

After a while, there it was. In January 2022, the count jumped from Day 659 to Day 670. What? But that’s 11 days, not nine. There are additional issues.

Day 713 x four.
The scan revealed something else weird. In February 2022, it seems that the day that was tagged as Day 713 was great enough to be the count for four days. That muddied the water even more. Do I keep digging until I find every little glitch or do I just move on? 

Now, two things are possible. When I wake up tomorrow, I will have forgotten all about it. Or, it will bug me so much that I fret over it and eventually end up reviewing and retitling every entry and probably also make a spreadsheet index with day counts and topics. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment