Wednesday, June 8, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 822 (Wednesday) – coming and going

A colleague told me the very exciting news that a vintage shop is coming into downtown in a corner shop that has been empty for a while. The location is on the way to a shop I was planning to visit today, so I made sure to pay attention, pause, and check it out.

Take Care Vintage - Opening in June.
There was lettering on the window that said “Take Care Vintage” and “Opening in June.” Racks were set up inside with clothes hanging. A wall held some purses and knickknacks lined the window sill. Someone inside had things spread out on the floor and was organizing and arranging. 

I was tempted to bang on the door and pepper the person inside with the questions burning in my brain. When are you opening? How do you source your inventory? Are you going to specialize in any particular decades? Do you want to buy my vintage purse collection? How about my 1950s/60s day dresses that no longer fit me? How about some gowns from the 1970s?

I did not bang on the door or harass the person inside the building. Instead, I crossed the street to my existing favorite downtown store and original destination, Dollar Buy. There, on the sidewalk outside the window, my blood turn to ice. There was a sign reading “For Sale – Business.”

It seems that downtown giveth and downtown may also taketh away. 

What if I need another Movable Stick?
New questions flooded my brain to replace the questions about the new shop. Are you really closing, or is that just a sample of signs you sell here? Where will I go to laugh at odd translations into English for things like “Moveable Stick” (rolling pin)? Will a buyer keep it as a shop of super cheap assorted stuff? Should I buy every single household item I might need in the coming decade right now, just in case? It was depressing. I left, planning to inventory the kitchen before Friday when I am downtown again. That way, I can replace and stockpile. 

Since walking past the site of the incoming vintage store, an internet search on the store name was done, looking for info. There was none. Dang! Set your shop up with some social media sites. Announce your existence and upcoming opening. Potential customers want to know. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment