Monday, June 6, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 820 (Monday) – back to reality

Downtown.
All during vacation week, I was out of bed pretty close to the usual time of 6:15. This morning, I woke up briefly at 5:00 to many birds chirping and rolled over to sleep until the 6:15 alarm. When I woke up again at 6:45, it was one of those heart pounding “oh, shit” kinds of awakenings. I had forgotten to reactivate the alarm, which had been turned off during vacation week. 

I bounded out of bed and nearly knocked over Winston, who was standing quietly near the foot of the bed. The shortened get-ready-for-work time was helped greatly by not having to play the “what did I wear the last time I was in the office?” game. Hooray for small blessings.

The first day back from vacation and back to reality greeted me with 221 emails in the main inbox and another 120 in a press and social media folder. I have seen far worse, and the tally may have been helped by the Memorial Day holiday being part of the week off.

The Mercury retrograde period that began May 10 finally ended June 3, and thank goodness for that. There is still the matter of clearing the remaining wreckage. There were a couple ad placements botched by the publications, a few miscommunications, a double booked calendar here and there, and other oddities. At least there is a breather until September 9, when the next one starts again. I didn’t even used to believe in things like Mercury retrograde, but after surviving several cycles of things gone sideways and upside down then finding out it was a retrograde period, I’m now aware of the signs.

Flower boxes and reflections
 on Palmer St
.
The workday passed pretty quickly and even included a break away from the desk for a short walk, thanks to wanting to return a library book. I may have to keep borrowing library books – they are a good way to make sure I get out of the office once in a while. 

The weather was spectacular, as if to rub my nose in its redirect to clouds and chill during vacation week. Whatever. Can’t win them all, and there is more vacation time to be had, so maybe the next scheduled days off will catch a decent weather break. 

The brief walk to and from the library included interesting rooflines, flowering trees, and multiple monuments around City Hall that I never paid attention to until today. The canal water was covered in a film of pollen which hovered between interesting and disgusting. Palmer Street has window flower boxes and cobblestones. There is always something to see.

3 comments:

  1. I so enjoy these missives! thanks for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! So nice of you to say.

      Delete