Saturday, October 30, 2021

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 593 (Saturday)

Prince - 2019
house party.
Halloween "season" has long been one of my favorite celebrations. Wearing a costume is fun. I think so, anyway. I know a lot of people who hold a different view of it, but I also know enough people who agree with me to keep it fun. 

Over the years, the wig collection has grown and become colorful thanks to sales, and the costume parts keep accumulating because you never know when a themed dress-up event will pop up. Thankfully, they aren't just for Halloween. There are many springtime galas that afford a chance to go undercover. 

Throughout years of Halloween bar events and house parties, I've been a mermaid (twice), Prince (twice), Red Riding Hood (thrice), Bettie Page, the logo matchbook from the bar I frequented in the 90s, and the logo pen from the same bar, and sugar skull makeup for a Day of the Dead event. There was a costume themed burlesque event in Nashville that was a fun chance to pull out the pink wig and leopard print kimono. 

Music City Boo-lesque
Nashville, 2009.
Themed parties at the home of friends included the 1920s, the 1970s (went in a shiny silver disco getup), Witches and Warlocks (was White Witch from Narnia), and whatever the theme was in 2019, the second time I was Prince. It’s always so much fun to step outside real life and cut loose. I get to be me all the time, and trust me, there are times when it isn't that much fun. Escaping into another character is a relief.

The year of the Bettie Page costume (2008) featured two nights of parties. One night was a party at The Tap Room, a bar in Clarksville, Tennessee. There was a contest that came down to me and Cat Woman for the prize, and we had to do a prance off. 

After it was over and Cat Woman won (the judge said it was because the night's theme was "Hollywood," of which I was unaware), I realized there was toilet paper stuck to my shoe. In some of the pictures people are laughing and pointing at it. The next night it was a party at the home of friends of a friend.

Bettie Page - 2008
house party.
This year’s Halloween weekend plans are much less like fun and social Halloweens past and more like nearly every other night of the past 590-plus nights. It's me on the couch with my feet up on the ottoman, Prime streaming on TV with me paying minimal attention, and Winston sleeping nearby. I will write and do my nightly Finnish lessons with the Duolingo app. 

There was the consumption of potato chips, which is about as wild and festive as it will get. Life is still pandemic quiet, but there is always hope for next month, next quarter, next year for things to be more lively. Beer consumption was considered, but there is dance class on Sunday morning, so it was disqualified in favor of water. Costumes are optional for class, so a closet raid will be in order.

As for Sunday night the 31st, I’ll probably be doing exactly the same thing as every other night. Plus, being Sunday, there is the added fun of fighting the usual "crap, it's nearly Monday" depression. This will be the sixth Halloween here, and in the previous five, there have been zero kids knocking on the door for Trick or Treat, so I didn’t even bother to buy candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment