Thursday, October 28, 2021

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 591 (Thursday)

It doesn’t take long for me to get bored with cooking. After a few days on a roll, something flips and I don’t feel like doing any food prep or even dealing with reheating a prepared meal that will dirty a plate. Tonight, the cooking fatigue plus a conversation about steak and cheese subs the other day with a colleague had that specific food item lodged in my head. That meant it was supper delivery for the win.

My favorite delivery pizza joint had emailed a $3 off coupon, so they were top of mind, plus the no contact delivery has been great. A knock on the door, and by the time I get to there, the driver is already halfway to the car, and the food is on the small table in the enclosed porch.

I must have ordered at exactly the right moment. The delivery window provided at checkout was about 40 minutes. After barely 20 minutes, there was a knock on the door. As I approached the door, someone could be seen standing on the other side beyond the glass insert. 

It was unusual, but I figured with the election next week, maybe it was a member of a political fan club and opened the door a crack and said “hello?” tentatively. A tall woman with a grin that hovered between goofy and creepy stood there. The brown paper bag she handed me had the receipt taped to the outside that said “Leave on table in enclosed porch.” So much for “no contact delivery.” Call me antisocial, but I prefer my no contact delivery to be exactly that. If I wanted personal contact, it would have been a pickup order. 

Cowboy Bites and steak cheese sub.
The food was carried to the kitchen and set on the counter. Winston sprang to life and trotted alongside. He must have smelled the steak and cheese. The order of Cowboy Bites (fried cheese, bacon, corn, jalapeno bites) was as delicious as I remember from a year ago. The cannoli, ordered to meet the minimum order for the three dollars off offer (basically making the cannoli free) looked as great as always.

The star of the meal, the steak, cheese, mushroom and pepper sub, was a disappointment. The meat was overdone and dry. The cheese was nowhere to be found. At least the bread was nice and fresh. Tomorrow’s lunch plan, the other half of the steak and cheese, may find itself abandoned for the instant pho bowl in my desk at the office-office. Or maybe the remaining 80% of the Cowboy Bites order. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment