Tuesday, October 19, 2021

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 582 (Tuesday)

Another day of more of the same. With “the same” being the reemergence of my bad technology karma. It’s a special talent, sitting near equipment and having it go haywire. Must be my magnetic personality.

Within the first couple hours of the day, I was on the phone with our help desk four times. First, I had no email, which turned out to be because I had no internet connection, while everyone else in the immediate area was fully connected. After that was resolved, suddenly the PDFs were behaving badly. I felt bad for the help desk team each time I presented a new situation, but they are all true pros and actually helpful, so they handled whatever came their way.

Recent technology quirks have forced me to dig down deep to old school roots. My first instinct is to send emails. I can write the message, review it, massage it, and then send it. Last week, however, there was an email quirk and I had to pick up the phone and call people. The phone is not really my thing. Texting? Sure, all day. Calling? That is less great. It was stressful. Today, when I couldn’t make notes on the PDF for a time-sensitive project, I used the copier to scan a document with hand written edits to email to get it to a designer for updates. It was kind of quaint.

The king is his comfy bed.
In other exciting workday news, lunch was a piece of quiche I found in the freezer during a madcap search before heading to the office. Once again, I ate while working and failed to take an actual break. I thought of taking a walk at 1:00 but I wanted to do “just one more thing.” The next thing I knew it was 3:15 and then it was too late. Maybe tomorrow.

Meanwhile, at the house, Winston seems to just laze about all day. When I arrive, he doesn’t even great me at the door like he used to. I call his name and go upstairs to greet him, remove his diaper wrap, and head back downstairs to let him outside and begin our quaint and quiet home life.  He is almost always upstairs, curled up in his bed in the bedroom. He has even managed to turn the bed inside out so it no longer has raised sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment