Friday, May 21, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 431 (Friday)

Be Hoppy.
After work, the sun was shining, the air was warm and still, and I was ready to begin the deck umbrella refresh project. First, a long-awaited, thought about since Tuesday pizza was ordered for delivery. 

The umbrella was opened, but I can get it open to only the first notch and no further, so the fabric isn’t as taut as it could or should be. The plan for tonight was to wrangle the umbrella out of the holder, get it to ground level, and hose it off. There was a tarp. There was a cinder block on standby to help anchor the umbrella pole. There was hope that maybe the spray paint magic could start.

The problems were immediate. I couldn’t get the umbrella out of the holder. The round table is exactly deep enough and my arms exactly short enough that I can just barely grab the pole, but can’t get any leverage to raise it from the holder. Now I have to try and hijack a neighbor for help, because the phone a friend option seems like asking a lot. “Hi, friend, can you drive 45 to 60 minutes to my house to take my deck umbrella out of the holder? Oh, then, maybe come back in a day or so to put it back?”

It has been considered to paint the umbrella while it is set in the holder in the table on the deck. The stepstool would work for reaching the outer portions, but the center would be impossible. The deck is narrow and the danger of overspray meeting the neighbor’s white vinyl fence and the siding on my house would give me a nervous breakdown.

The hose was hauled from the shed and the umbrella rinsed off while it was set up in the table. That’s when I learned the spray nozzle doesn’t stays on and doesn’t go off. While holding the hose up high to wash the umbrella, cold water ran down my arm, into the sleeve of my tee shirt, and down my back. Thank goodness it was warm out. After the umbrella, the pollen was hosed off the car. It wasn’t a proper washing with soap, but it helped.

A few minutes later, supper was delivered. I sat on the couch and let the extra-cheese pineapple and black olive covered tastiness bury my disappointment over not being able to start the umbrella painting. It was accompanied by a Wormtown Brewery Be Hoppy India Pale Ale. After that, I felt, if not happy, at least happier. Getting that umbrella out of the holder would make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment