Friday, January 8, 2021

“Remoted” Workday 197 / Day 298 (Friday)

A few weeks ago, there was snow on the ground, but now the yard is grass and dirt and doggy deposits. The birds are chirpy in the morning and it sounds like spring. The temperatures have still been wintry, but not the deep freeze winter, just the normal mid to high 30s range. It’s cold enough that I don’t want to be outside. Nights are spent on the couch under a blanket.

Whatever the weather, the dogs go out a hundred times a day. Lately it feels like extortion, because they aren’t out there long enough to even do anything. Moose goes down the steps, turns around, and immediately comes back inside and heads directly to the biscuits. The problem is, they’ve been conditioned to get a treat after going outside, which is a human-created situation. The other problem is, we are tragically low on biscuits and I haven’t been to the store (or anywhere else). The treat bin was restocked with regular dry kibble, but even the regular food is getting low. I can’t even slip them carrots because those all went into the soup the other day. This is also a human-created situation.

Starting January 1, I was trying to see if I could make it an entire week without spending any money (except for bills – it’s probably a pretty solid assumption that the mortgage bank and National Grid don’t play the “I was trying to not spend money” game). This has meant no Amazon purchases, but it has also inspired the repurposing of things already in the house, which means I don't have to figure out a way to dispose of things.

Are these books or clocks?

No spending hasn't meant no window shopping. The shopping carts are not empty, but the buying ban provides a cool down period to decide if things are really needed. The kitchen clock has grown tiresome, but is still in the want side of the need/want spectrum, I just haven’t found one I like. There are some truly hideous clocks that I definitely don't want. A flower pot with a clock in the middle? No thank you. There is no need in my world for a clock that declares “you are what you eat,” tells me to “live love laugh,” or taunts my solo existence with “big happy family” crap. There are expensive clocks emblazoned with a word count equal to a short story, that display the time completely in text. Maybe I should get one of those and count the word clock towards my "read a book a month" goal. Maybe I’ll find something I like next week when it's back to normal spending. Right after restocking the royal pantry for the Canine Overlords, for whom it is always treat o’clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment