Tuesday, January 12, 2021

“Remoted” Workday 199 / Day 302 (Tuesday)

Winston ... adorable and
not a massage therapist.
Although I've been a dancer of one form or another on and off for most of my life since the age of six, at the same time, I’m not always the most graceful person around. I’ve never fallen while performing on stage, but have been known to trip over absolutely nothing while walking across a perfectly cleared floor, usually in front of a group of people. Absentmindedly walking into furniture and bouncing off doorframes is just part of daily life, and falling down the backdoor stairs is an annual event. Bruises are as natural as breathing and unless there is an audience to bear witness, the events that cause them barely register. The title of “klutz” has been bestowed on many occasions. 

Working from home seems to have helped a little with the klutz factor. For one thing, the home office shoes are very sensible. Without the hazards of downtown cobblestones and sidewalk cracks, the most common mishap has been slamming the top of my foot on the underside of the corner of the metal bed frame. That one never goes unnoticed, because it hurts like crazy and usually involves swearing. The mystery is why it keeps happening – the bed has been in the same spot for more than four years. 

Moose ... cute, but
not a chiroporactor.
Lately, physical ailments have been less about stumbles and furniture contact and more about shoulder, neck and arm pain. Sitting in the desk chair all day and on the not so comfortable couch/futon all evening are really taking a toll on my posture and clenching my jaw all night while sleeping is resulting in tension. If only the Canine Overlords were trained in massage or chiropractic.

Today has a weird and random ailment. While watching TV with a dog asleep on either side, I moved my too long bangs out of my face for the nine millionth time. I touched the top of my head and discovered a mysterious tender spot.

On the spectrum of head pain, it’s worse than the scalp tenderness when my hair comes down from being in a topknot bun and closer to the too many times I’ve banged my head on the corner of a cabinet. Even though I like how wavy my hair is after a night in a topknot, it hasn’t been in one for months because my scalp feels so tender and uncomfortable when it comes down. And I’m 100% sure I haven’t banged my head on a cabinet. I think. While hitting fleshy bits on a chair or table is not so memorable, hitting the boney parts usually registers. And now the sore spot has become an obsession as I keep touching it and wondering how it came to be. My heart might be made of stone, but right now, at least my head is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment