Thursday, January 13, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 678 (Thursday)

Winston’s results from wearing the glucose monitor came in from the vet. His sugar, which has a target level of 100, was consistent at 400 in the readings. Oy. His insulin dosage is now increased from six units to eight. Today was the first day with the new dosage, and unfortunately, it was an office-office day, so I wasn’t at the house to keep an eye on him. 

Winston on the couch,
January 13, 2012.
When I got home, all seemed as usual – Winston waited at the top of the stairs, just outside the bedroom. His tail was wagging, butt wiggling, front paws tapping, diaper band full of pee, and seemed as happy for me to be home as I was to be home. Gotta love the doggy love.

This month marks 10 years since Winston came to stay with me, but I can’t remember the exact date, which makes me feel like a horrible pet parent. Was it the 9th? the 12th? the 6th? I don't know. Facebook Memories has a picture of him on January 13, 2012, sprawled on his back on the couch in Tennessee looking very comfortable, with the post “I guess Winston is comfortable,” so it seems the anniversary date was close to now. Maybe I shouldn’t beat myself up too much, because it doesn’t seem he remembers it, either. Winston sill loves sprawling on the couch, but lately he prefers to hide under a blanket. Sometimes his nose sticks out a bit, and other times, he is undetectable to the untrained eye. It might be a pile of blanket, or it might be Winston.

Winston on the couch, 2022.
It’s been a fun decade. Moose was my longest relationship, and Winston is the solid second longest. Both dogs lasted longer than any human male partners in my life, and I’m not sure what that says about me and human men. I do, however, recall what some of the men who were once in my life have said to me. There was, “You’re too independent.” “You just don’t need anyone!” “Damn, you’re hard to read.” And possibly my favorites, both from the same five-year relationship live-in ex, “You should be a CEO with your MBA,” and in another conversation, “When I get married I want a stay at home wife.” Dogs are adorable, mostly easy to please, and they definitely don’t give me that kind of grief. So happy anniversary, Winston, my boo! Whenever it was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment