Sunday, January 16, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 681 (Sunday)

 This was one of those mornings when Winston needed to go out in the freezing cold of 3:00 to potty. The sky was clear and the moon was a shining silver disc over the street. When we returned to bed, it was a sleepless stretch. There was tossing and turning and rearranging of blankets. For both of us. After a while, I checked the time and noted that it had been an hour of trying to get back to sleep. 

The usual consequence is that once I finally return to sleep, it’s 8:00 before I wake up again. When I finally get up, it feels like half the morning is over. There were no plans to rush for, and by the time there was coffee and a shower, it was 10:30. There was casual shopping at Kohls-dot-com in the quest for new pajamas, a pair of slippers that will fit, unlike the just received torture slippers, and soup bowls, but it was incomplete. No touchdown. 

Sucked into the games.
The rest of the day was a crazy spiral of spider solitaire and the mahjong tile matching games on the laptop. It’s been at least a year since either game has been played or even thought about. All it took was for Mom to mention she was playing solitaire during a phone call yesterday. We had barely hung up and the next thing I knew, the games were open on the laptop and I was on my own trip down the rabbit hole on a cold winter weekend.

For chunks of two days, while three seasons of Bordertown played on the TV, cards were stacked in columns, then tiles were matched, and then it was back to the cards. My eyes are dry and glazed from hardly blinking. Spurts of obsession can be draining. There were brief potty and food breaks, and a pot of soup was started. 

In an amazing show of strength, a Christmas gift box of Godiva was not opened until today. I don't know how I managed to hold out for so long. Having a box of fancy Belgian chocolates go untouched for weeks in my presence is truly unprecedented. There ought to be a medal awarded. Preferably in chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment