Wednesday, October 28, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 154 / Day 226 (Wednesday)

My ballot was logged as accepted and now I can stop worrying I will forget to deliver it or worse. There was a teensy moment of panic during operation ballot drop off last night. Flush with the excitement of finding a perfect parking spot, I jumped out of the car with my ballot in hand. I was up the steps and more than halfway across the concrete plaza to the box when I realized I had no mask. Sure, it was outdoors, but I had to walk past two people having a conversation at a pickup truck parked in JFK Plaza, one masked, one not, and it felt reckless and not in the fun way like when I was in college. 

Accepted!

I got to the box, pushed open the metal panel, and slid the envelope horizontally in the tiny space between the panel and the metal that was under the panel. After the envelope was out of sight, I saw the slit to drop the envelope vertically into the box. There were ruminations during the night about my ballot being lodged in some sliver of space and not being found until years later and having to go vote in person anyway.  All because I was hurrying due to feeling socially irresponsible for forgetting my mask in the car while being civically responsible and voting.

Polenta = really boring food.
One of the first things I did this morning was check the ballot status, fully prepared to stalk the Secretary of State website for days, if necessary. Luckily, it was already logged as accepted and I could move on to other concerns including but not limited to the whereabouts of the red and gray dog sweater that matches the navy blue and green one. I can’t find it anywhere, and the boys look so cute wearing the same sweater in different colors. Also, why is polenta so boring? I have bought it several times, each time hoping it will be better than the previous times. Then I punish myself with eating it because I bought it. This was the case tonight, when I baked polenta slices topped with parmesan and served with sauce topped with even a bit more parmesan. Not impressed all over again, and I have about a dozen more slices of the stuff. I probably won’t vote to have polenta again after this tube is gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment