Saturday, October 10, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 208 (Saturday)

The weather was beautiful and unfortunately, I had an appointment at the hair salon I go to in Worcester, which meant being indoors. My brother-in-law’s band was playing an outdoor show at a brewery later in the afternoon in a town halfway between home and the salon, which had potential.

After the salon, there was a return needed at Kohl’s, thanks to a late-night shopping spree a couple weeks ago that reinforced the lesson that some things should be bought in person. Pants caught my eye, they were on sale, and I bought them in all four colors available. When they arrived, they were not like I imagined based on the online picture with the model. The fabric was clingy, flimsy, and not suitable for wearing in public. At least not by me. I tossed them into the car before heading to the appointment with the hair stylist who gives a scalp massage that is so amazing she could probably get spies to spill all their secrets.

My silky, freshly toned and layered hair went to Kohl’s, where the return process was very quick. I should have left immediately, but instead, walked through the store. It was tidy and not crowded, which made for a pleasant shopping experience. There were cute jeans that were returned to the rack upon discovering the fitting rooms are closed, and I already knew the consequence of buying untried items. Tops are safer to buy without trying them on, and I ended up with three plaid flannels from the men’s department where the colors were better, the fabric felt nicer, and as usual, the prices were lower than over in womens.

Shirts on sale!
The clearance prices were an additional 20% off, and I had a 30% coupon that came in the mail which would make them practically free. In the checkout queue, I took out my phone to open my “Kohl’s Wallet” in the app and access my 30% off coupon. I couldn’t log in because I couldn’t remember the password, and let the person behind me go ahead. The system was supposed to send me a link to reset the password but it never came through. Before I finally gave up trying, I had let six people jump the line ahead of me.

The problem I have with Kohl’s digital stuff is there are too many logins and passwords. It seems like there is one for online shopping, one for the charge card, and one for the app, and I was not able to get into the stupid magic wallet holding my 30% off coupon hostage. The coupon came affixed to the latest promotional mailer I neglected to take with me, and I remember from working there that everyone claims to have the golden 30% off coupon. I wish Kohl’s would attach the stupid coupon that requires use of the Kohl’s charge to the actual stupid Kohl’s charge account. Because I couldn’t access my wallet and didn’t have the physical coupon, I was given the rock bottom 15% off. This “just login to your wallet to see your Kohl’s Cash and offers” is a royal pain in the arse. Of course, once home, I was able to log in as if by magic, and there was the stupid 30% off coupon.

After Kohl’s, my route out of town took me past the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and the car autopiloted itself into the lot. At ReStore, I found a set of two white picture frames for my kitchen that were brand new and still in the original major store packaging for $1.49, and a gold wood frame that is perfect for an idea for the dining room. A record album rack for 99 cents may be the perfect solution for organizing the cookie sheets and cooling racks that are jumbled in the cabinet. Four small plates perfectly match my favorite dinner plates, and a quirky mid-century modern gravy boat for $1.49 had to be bought. It was a great stop, with a bag of stuff for under $10. 

Even after visiting the ReStore, it was still too early to go hear the band. I would have been sitting at the brewery for close to two hours before the show, possibly alone until people I know arrived, and that is a level of awkward I wasn’t in the mood for. The car was pointed home to check on the dogs, which allowed a thirty-minute window before heading back out in the same direction I had just come from. I knew it was 100% possible to accomplish, because that’s what my old, fun life in Tennessee was like, and years before that, my old, fun life in Worcester. By the time I pulled into the driveway, I had decided to make the trip back out. There would be sunshine, music, and friends and family in the remainder of my afternoon.

Entering the house, despite two dogs wearing pee belts, I was greeted by a massive wet pee mark on the kitchen runner. My best guess to the origin of possibly the biggest pee mark ever to grace our home is that it happened during the flurry of pre-departure activities. I can’t remember when they last went outside before they were pantsed-up. There was a battle with the industrial strength Velcro to liberate Moose from his pants, put both dogs out, and clean the pee from the rug. There was a much-needed, hurried, late lunch Fluffernutter to stave the hunger from not having eaten since 7 in the morning. With the sandwich on the plate I committed a fatal error. I sat on the couch, and after that, there was no hope of making it out the door to arrive at the band event in time, which is a shame, because my hair looked terrific. Maybe tomorrow I can tackle the projects involving the frames found today.

No comments:

Post a Comment