Friday, May 22, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 52 / Day 67 (Friday)



Work/vacation day …. Friday!

In true vacation mode, I chillaxed. Coffee, online Scrabble, lunch (okay, that happens everyday), wandering around the staycation property (that’s a quick one, this resort is tiny), sat in the sun on the deck and read a book (30 minutes with sunscreen, after that I’m cooked). In violation of chillax time, I also cleaned the kitchen in what the former military former husband referred to as “G.I.-ing” it. In other words, there was a toothbrush involved and it was inspection ready.

Late in the afternoon the gears shifted to business with trying to resolve some new phone issues which are fortunately covered under my “Total Protection Coverage” (yay!), but not fully resolved yet (boo). After 45 minutes on the phone and trying to figure out if my phone was indeed backed up and to where (never could figure that out) I ran out of patience. Maybe tomorrow. The next step is “reset to factory defaults” so I really need to know that my stuff is backed up and that I can get to it.

My sister called to tell my middle niece’s senior parade was tonight and how to see it. That instantly became the day’s highlight. I remember my high school graduation. And college. And graduate school. Each time involved baking on a grassy field, plus nerves followed by totally blanking out and somehow walking across a stage without incident, then relief, then a big celebration with friends and family. 

My feelings go out to the Class of 2020 for missing out on the traditions of the cap and gown procession with public recognition of their accomplishments. Not to mention all the other stuff like yearbook signings and knowing when your last day of school is to have your goodbyes, instead of having it yanked away prematurely by a pandemic. And there is Prom,  which I hear on good authority is a fabulous and momentous event to be remembered forever. I certainly remember my Prom night, but it wasn’t because I was at Prom. I was at a drive-in theater with a couple other girls, declaring myself the president of our chapter of Old Maids Anonymous, then getting sick from drinking beer. (Things were different back then - including the drinking age.) And kids, be careful what you put out to the Universe.

When my eldest niece graduated, it was a beautiful sunny evening on the Monty Tech field. Every time I caught a glimpse of her, my heart swelled with pride. To keep from sobbing through the entire ceremony, I took lots of photos for the distraction. I was so proud of her, and after the ceremony, it was exciting to take pictures with her in her cap and gown.

Chowdah in the Senior parade.
The Class of 2020 is having their own unique celebrations in their own unique way in this crazy time. The Monty Tech event was really cool. It was broadcast on Fitchburg Access Television and I saw it via the website. It opened with a slide show of the Seniors with their yearbook photos (I cried), then photos of the seniors outside their homes with yard signs declaring “Home of a Monty Tech senior” (I cried). 



Today's equivalent of crossing the stage?
Then it moved to a live telecast of the seniors in vehicles driving around the school property. There were multiple camera angles and locations along the route and even a drone. There were police and fire representatives from the communities the school serves, and the buses were decorated and marked the parade route through the parking lot behind the school. The faculty was there to cheer and wave, and the line of cars snaked past the field where the usual ceremony is held, which made me sad. My niece drives a distinctive car – it used to be all silver, but a mishap when it was her older sister’s car left it with a silver body and a black hood, making it easier to spot “The Silver Bullet.” And through the tears, I did spot her car a couple times (but not so much my niece). Bonus, even though “PrtSc” didn’t seem like it was working during the live broadcast, it was. Dang, I love that button. And there was the faulty phone, poised to commemorate. 

It wasn’t the traditional ceremony, but this far from a traditional time, and it was great that it was able to happen. Congrats Chowdah! Proud of you, and can’t wait to see you again in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment