Saturday, May 2, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 47 (Saturday)



Woke up late to a sunny Saturday. Inexplicably, Moose let us sleep until 8:45. It was so weird. It felt like half the morning was over before the coffee was even started.

Most of the past week had been spent dealing with a unexplained longing for an Everything Bagel with cream cheese, gravlax, and a side of capers. Also eggs, lox and onion. It was kind of ridiculous, this new craving. Thanks to my new hobby (obsession?) of shopping online for food to be delivered to the house, there is more food in the house than ever before. But it was missing that specific food which had recently become the subject of attention.

I haven’t been this fixated on these particular foods since my introduction to them when visiting the now-former in-laws in bee-yoo-tee-full Co-op City, The Bronx, back in the last century. There are actually many fond food memories from that time, including stuffed cabbage, noodle kugel, knishes, matzo brie, bialys, and macaroons. Noodle kugel, the only family recipe I have, was made in my very own kitchen recently, and macaroons and matzo crackers arrived in the Whole Foods Market delivery a week or two ago.

Dream breakfast.
Unfortunately, the refrigerator in the Bungalowell in this century was missing key components to the dream bagel breakfast. Like all of them. There was barely a shmear of cream cheese left, but no bagels, and the Bungalowell has never even seen lox. Last weekend, a Whole Foods cart was loaded up (my new hobby) and the page refreshed obsessively all weekend in search of a delivery window. There were none. Too many times during the week, the contents of the shopping basket full of memories were verified and edited to replace items that were sold out. There was much energy invested in hoping that the few necessities like paper towels (one roll maximum per order), dishwasher detergent, and dish liquid would last until I finally scored a prized delivery window.

Luckily, late on Friday, a delivery window opened, and the coveted ingredients landed on my doorstep. It was a delivery of magic and that allowed me to start my late Saturday morning with my dream bagel with whipped cream cheese and gravlax. So yummy. And the magic of Amazon Prime and Whole Foods Market deliveries means I may never set foot in a grocery store again.

No comments:

Post a Comment