Friday, May 8, 2020

“Remoted” -- Workday 42 / Day 53 (Friday)



A week ago, Mom called to ask if I had left the house yet. Of course I hadn’t. It was still deep in my scientific exploration to see how long I could stay in the house before claustrophobia set in or losing my mind and there was no plan to break the streak without a good reason. So-called “good reasons” would be things like needing to take a dog to the vet in the case of an emergency or finally returning to work at the office-office.

When Mom called, she relayed to me the true life tale of a family friend who had not started her car in several weeks, and then when she finally needed to go somewhere, it wouldn’t start because the battery was dead. This caused only a mild level of concern, as the AAA membership was recently renewed. Although, as a very wise friend pointed out, when I finally decide to leave for some good reason, the last thing I’ll want to deal with is waiting for AAA to arrive to deliver a jump start.

During the week after Mom called I saw an article about rats taking up residence in the engines of long-parked cars and chewing the wires, which somehow resemble roots they love to gnaw on. The article suggested checking under the hood before starting a car that hadn’t been run in several weeks. Great. Another car thing to worry about. And what should be done upon finding a family of engine rats? I don’t recall seeing that little tidbit in the article. This is exactly the sort of crap that can keep me awake all night, then deliver nightmares when I finally sleep.

Anyway, a couple days after Mom’s call, while still diligently logging the days spent at the house, the car hadn’t yet been started or checked for engine rats. My neighbor was in the shared driveway between our houses and told me she hadn’t used her car for a while and when she finally did there was a problem with the brakes. So now, after weeks of not driving, there was the possibility of a dead battery, engine rats, and brake trouble? Damn. But the 52 days to a gallon and zero dollars spent on gas was still feeling pretty good.

On Thursday, after work and supper, it finally happened. After being home since March 16, on the evening of Day 52, I left the house. Not for health, welfare, or entertainment purposes. Of all the possible valid reasons to leave, on this night, it was decided to drive the car to check the brakes. That’s when panic set in about not having a proper mask on Day two of the new mask in public mandate. 

What if something happened while I was driving and I had to get out of the car and couldn’t maintain distance and don’t have a mask? This leaving the house business, so adeptly avoided for so long, was becoming more stressful with each passing minute. Dead battery. Engine rats. Brake trouble. No mask. Cripes.

There was some frantic rummaging in a drawer to dredge up a bandanna, then the dogs were herded outside and deposited into the back seat of the car. The engine started right away, just like always. I forgot to check, but the fact the car started and there were no tiny rat screams seemed to rule out engine rats. Rolling out of the driveway, the brakes groaned with an awful and embarrassing noise. 

Dogs about to go for a ride.
The dogs and I drove the quiet streets of our neighborhood for twelve minutes. Traffic was light. Yards were flowering, trees had buds, and spring had arrived while I was in the house. The few people walking on the sidewalks were wearing masks and going about their business like there was nothing unusual going on in the world. 

While the car was moving it was fine and normal, but every time the brakes were used, there was a weird thumpy sound. None of the masked people on the sidewalks turned in horror at the sounds of my brakes, so maybe it doesn’t sound as bad outside the car as it does inside. But I’ll be checking in with the family mechanic about it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment