Sunday, April 19, 2020

“Remoted” – Sunday Five


Sunday Five, Day 34 of “Stay at Home” was mentally exhausting with random spots of progress. 

Much waking time was spent agonizing over shopping online for a new laptop to replace the 13-month old laptop with the screen crack that is getting worse. It’s not growing larger and is still limited to the lower right corner, but the pieces in the web of the fracture are shifting and the new angled facets catch the light and excessive amounts of my attention. Theoretically, the screen can be replaced, but I’m not sure how or where this can be done during the COVID-19 shutdowns, so it was time to suck it up and make a move where I could.

Blah, blah, tech words, new laptop is red!
A friend who knows a lot more about PCs than I do provided solid advice and a specific recommendation, and even so, it was three nights and a chunk of time on Sunday reading and comparing specs and getting myself torqued up into a headache before finally pushing the button and committing the credit card to a new laptop. Hours after the purchase, all I can remember is that it’s red and could arrive as soon as Thursday or as late as the following Tuesday.

After laptop shopping, there was a return to my newest hobby of obsessive online grocery shopping, and for the first time in two weeks, there was a Whole Foods delivery window available. Unfortunately, sold out items had disappeared from my cart and it no longer met the minimum order size, so there was some panicked grocery shopping. Now there will be butter, eggs, milk, mayonnaise, frozen mixed vegetables, rice, and a bunch of other stuff arriving tomorrow, and I can ease up a bit on the strict rationing protocol.

After watching half an episode of “Tiny House Nation” it’s clear that I need some tiny house designers to create some storage magic in my house. Holy crap, the Nashville house on the show had a mirror and ballet bar that folded out of a closet, and a desk that lifted up and out of a bench seat. In the next episode, they did a bar that lifted up out of a cabinet. A California house had a stepstool/ kitchen island /table that lived under a counter when not in use. This stuff is fascinating!

This finally has a home
wall in the kitchen.
Tiny house ideas could be the magic to make my guest room finally happen with built in storage and some sort of a fold down wall bed. Between watching “Tiny House Nation” and time spent browsing Wayfair, Overstock, and Amazon, there are so many cool ideas hitting the list for my house. I was even inspired to hang a piece of art that had been living in a drawer. This house has been the longest decorating project I’ve ever lived in, partly because I have a lot of art and very few suitable walls. But one big benefit to all the time spent in the house over the past month is progress in both ideas and action. 

1 comment: