Friday, July 31, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,329 (Friday) – holiday dreams

My Benidorm marathon (Prime Video) continues and shifts are happening. The show is described as a “British comedy series following holidaymakers at the Solana Resort in Benidorm. Hilarity ensues as guests try to get value for their Euros.” The show originally aired from 2007-2018, and I first streamed seasons of this series to get into an all-inclusive resort frame of mind before a 2017 trip to Jamaica. A friend I was traveling with recommended it and we laughed about the characters who reminded us of some of our own travel companions, acquaintances, or colleagues. Good times.


The past few days have sent me on holiday at Solana resort in Benidorm, Spain. The English tourists now have me thinking with a British accent and using English-English terms like holiday, fanny, pudding, oh blither, bloody, frig off, “me” instead of “my” and so on. Mateo, the Spanish bartender turns out to be a stellar Flamenco dancer, and now I want to learn that style (again). I want paella. And bangers and mash.

When I was in Mexico at an all-inclusive resort a couple years ago, my friend met some Brits at the pool and asked if Benidorm is a real holiday destination. It is, and is very popular with U.K travelers. Now I want to go to Sol Pelícanos Ocas, the real-life counterpart in Benidorm to the fictional Solana. Someday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment