Saturday, July 25, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,323 (Saturday) – summer squashes

It’s that magical week where everyone’s zucchini and summer squash are suddenly ready and I have been the lucky recipient of some gorgeous produce from the gardens of two friends. The weather has been beautiful and civilized and respectful and I have been enjoyed being in the kitchen without danger of suffering heat stroke.

The first thing made with the first wave of squash was a summer squash, zucchini, and cheese casserole that came out even better than I thought it would and has provided a couple hearty meals. Tonight, it was combined with ditalini pasta to mix up the textures a bit.

Fun with zucchini.
While at my sister’s on Thursday, we were talking about chocolate zucchini bread, and yesterday I was gifted a comically large zucchini. This morning, I woke up with chocolate zucchini bread on the brain. At least an hour was spent going through various cookbooks, the recipe card file, and websites in search of a recipe.

There are shockingly few recipes for anything zucchini related in my collection of church compilations and vegetarian cookbooks but there are many online. After reviewing online recipes and ingredients lists for what felt like forever, it was obvious a trip to the grocery store was needed to make chocolate zucchini bread because I ate all the semi-sweet baking chips from the baking supplies months ago. While preparing for departure, it occurred to me that I didn’t have to make the chocolate zucchini bread today and I could make the regular flavor version for which I had everything needed.

The recipe in my file that I would have sworn on my life was for Mummu’s regular zucchini bread turned out to be for zucchini boats which are not the same thing at all. Thank goodness for the Internet.

Mini breads from a
giant zucchini.
I got busy making a huge mess in the kitchen and baked four mini-loafs from the one giant zucchini which yielded 3.5 cups of shreds. I ate most of one loaf while it was still warm. A few slabs were with butter, and then a few more with cream cheese and it was all good. One loaf was delivered next door to Mom’s house. The other two are in the freezer.

There are still three more zucchinis ready for action. These will be plenty for the next batch of mini breads as soon as I get chocolate baking chips. I now have assembled a decent collection of zucchini recipes including grilled cheese made with fried zucchini patties instead of bread and a zucchini and cheddar frittata. It will be a great zucchini season.

No comments:

Post a Comment