Sunday, July 26, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,324 (Sunday) – summer travel

It is horrifying to me that this is already the last Sunday in July. Where did the month go? Or the summer? Or the entire past seven months? A much as I love summer, I really seem to fall apart when it comes to planning activities for it. The doing of activities is fun, but planning and then paying for them is painful work. It’s just so easy to lounge around the house reading, cooking, and eating.

A couple weeks ago, I decided I wanted to go somewhere not my house and started to explore travel. I saw a listing of group tours that sound fun, but they are several months away and the markup for a single booking for most of them was an extra $500 punishment I don’t want to spend. Being a singleton has enough punishments already. And I really wanted something for now, not next April.

I looked online at packages for something sooner and spent several days looking at destinations and flight schedules and hotel packages until my head was spinning. And then I gave up. For now. We’ll see. So far, there have been several flights of fancy but no solid plans or air travel.

Mowing and meditating.
Tonight, after an exhausting day of watching British crime dramas from 25 years ago while also playing games on my phone, I mowed the yard and mentally zoned out for close to an hour. I admired the ferns and avoided some of the clover and little wildflowers, thinking of the pollinators.

I find mowing to be meditative, at least until the extension cord for the mower comes unplugged and I start swearing. When the task was done, I sat on the couch with a bottle of chilled water, my feet up on the hassock and two tennis balls in a bag between me and the back of the couch. It reflected on my daylong budget version of a restorative retreat that I didn’t have to drive to or pay money for. Maybe tomorrow I’ll imagine myself in San Juan or Saint Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment