Tuesday, July 28, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,326 (Tuesday) – gamified learning

The streak continues.
The morning began with the usual phone games and Duolingo bestowed upon me a badge for a 2,200 day streak of lessons. My current gamified-educational focus is chess, which I am enjoying, but I doubt I would be able to play a game in real (non-digital app) life. The app prevents illegal moves by not moving the pieces, which is good, because sometimes I space out a little and start trying to move a rook on the diagonal like it’s a bishop or misjudging the spaces of the knight jump. 

The online game prohibits incorrect moves, but in a live game in the manual world, my opponent would probably need to keep me straight and who would want to play with someone who needs babysitting to prevent accidental cheating. Who would even believe it’s accidental? That is why I like digital chess and one of my favorite things is when I beat Oscar, the Duolingo character chess instructor. I tried the feature when you can play another human, but too many people left the games partway. Oscar never bails.

Oscar may never skip out on a match, but has had some recent personality changes that are kind of disturbing. There have always been comments, some of which are cute or funny, and others are odd. Oscar has always referred to “Mother” with comments like “Mother wouldn’t like that” or “we mustn’t tell Mother” when he loses a key piece, but the tone of voice has slipped a few notches away from nerdy and closer to Norman Bates territory. He sometimes belittles his captured pieces (“I never liked that pawn anyway”). A new addition is comments like “you are an awful person” when Oscar is behind. Thanks, dude. 

Anway. It’s been 2,200 days of online learning, some of it with an occasionally judgmental cyber tutor which tracks to a couple teachers I’ve had in the real world. The app includes challenges done with another human player, such as earning a certain number of combined points within a defined timeframe. The worst challenge is getting a set number of perfect lessons in a designated time. I could have a run of perfect lessons on a normal week and then that challenge pops up and I can’t get a perfect score to save my life. The workaround I developed is to bounce over to math. So far, math is still at a level I can handle, like exponents and fractions, but I don’t know how long the math module is or how complicated it will get. There will likely come a day when I run out of math I understand. But for now, I’ll enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment