Sunday, December 4, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 992 (Sunday) – fortune

It was another cozy, homey day of cleaning the bathroom, making vegetable stock from the bag of onion skins and ends, carrot ends, brussels sprouts leaves, and other trimmings from during the week. It was a first effort, after reading about it in the Soup Lovers group on Facebook. 

After setting it on the stove on a low flame, I went to the living room and the History Channel and stories about The Foods that Made America. There were stories about ice cream, cookies, TV dinners and the first microwave dinners. Interesting stuff. And of course, it planted ideas about cookies in my head. For a second I thought I smelled gas and had a moment of panic. On the way to the kitchen, it turned to more of a heavy onion aroma and I realized it was the stock.

Another Sunday meant another trip to a Market Basket for a roasted chicken. This week was Store #1 on Fletcher Street, where reaching the chicken aisle requires traveling to the back of the store, past miles of aisles of temptation. Restraint was exercised. A five-pound bag of flour for the holiday baking ingredients stockpile was gathered, along with rice and barley. The cookie, candy, and chips aisles were skillfully avoided. 

Fortune.
The produce department held the weekly mushroom restock. Almost everything I make starts with a pat of butter, a splash of olive oil, onion, and mushroom. Over by the green beans I saw a local artist acquaintance and we chatted for a moment near the green beans I was about to gather. We had a nice chat about Thanksgiving and the peace and tranquility of his solo chicken pot pie for one.

After chatting and grabbing the green beans, I spotted the most non-produce product in the department – fortune cookies. These were a cookie covered in the History Channel show earlier in the day, where I learned that fortune cookie writer is an actual job and now there is a new dream job. Maybe I can get a side hustle as a fortune cookie writer.  

With a row of fortune cookies in my face, it felt like a sign from the Universe. The hint was taken, and now there is a rather large bag of fortune cookies in the kitchen. So much for avoiding cookies. But I can study the writing and begin to work on my new future job.

Today’s fortune (from the cookie): “Flying is simple. Not hitting the ground is hard.”

Today’s fortune (my rewrite): “Flying is simple. The ground is hard, so avoid hitting it.” How am I doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment