Thursday, February 3, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 699 (Thursday) - no satisfaction

And just like that, done.
The tinnitus is out of control today. Somedays it is barely noticeable, and others it is overwhelming. There are no clues as to what causes the tinnitus pendulum to swing from one extreme to the other. Today featured a shrill and most unpleasant soundtrack that accompanied the afternoon and evening.

In other news, earlier this week I finished the Finnish lessons on Duolingo. It happened suddenly, and I  had no idea this would happen until I got a message that I had earned the "Level 5 trophy." It seems it should be a happy thing to complete a course of study, but right now, it's mostly disappointing. 

I’ve learned some interesting phrases. There is “This song grooves like a moose” (Tämä biisi svengaa kuin hirvi), and of course "The cat is a Viking" (Kissa on viikinki), but those aren't exactly going to help me hold a conversation in Finnish. There has been a considerable amount of time pondering what the heck grooving like a moose is supposed to be. Does that mean it’s wicked good? Or wicked awful?

No more words means
no scholar badge for me.
There are still accolades to be earned. I was number 1 in the Obsidian League, poised to advance to Diamond League, when I ran out of lessons and victory was cruelly snatched from my grasp. No lessons available means no points and no points means no league advancement. Clearly, there can be no scholar badge for learning 1,500 words in a single course when the course was completed at 1,000 words, and that is quite unsatisfying. 

This Duolingo situation is about as frustrating and unfulfilling as the goals planning program we use at work. We have to enter personal and professional goals, but the system doesn't include a way to mark them as completed. Cripes, the best part of a list is crossing things off.

Sometimes even when you win, you still can’t get no satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment