Friday, November 12, 2021

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 606 (Friday)

Rain splattered.
The drive to work was in a light shower and the forecast showed a 100% chance of rain for most of the morning. Leaving the car, I was laden like a pack mule with two large bags containing one decorated wreath each, a smaller bag with leftover decorating items, the work purse/tote, and an umbrella. As I stepped from the garage, two things happened almost simultaneously. I realized I had totally forgotten to grab anything for lunch, and the sky opened up in a heavy rain. 

By the time I made it to the office, my toes were wet in the footwear carefully chosen for the pretend leather material which was believed to not be ruined in wetness. The umbrella was not of the oversized variety, and my casual Friday jeans were wet from the back of my knees down to the hems. Longest quarter-mile ever.

Lunch - aka"why my pants don't fit."
The pants dried in time for the noon-ish wreath delivery errand, which luckily occurred between downpours. I was able to get to the gallery and on the way back, grab a veggie sub from Subway. In theory, half of the sub would be lunch, and the other half would be supper. It didn’t work that way. The entire thing was consumed and oddly, I was still hungry. Lately I want to eat everything in sight, like an animal preparing for hibernation. If only there could be a real stretch of several months of nothing but sleep. This is the dream I dare to dream.

I was the only occupant of my half of the fourth floor which felt a lot like solitary confinement or detention or some other punishment. Two colleagues were on the other side of the suite. Everyone else was either on a scheduled remote day or a vacation day. Work was busier than expected and went by strangely quick despite the solitary confinement and the soundtrack of the rain slamming against the roof. 

There were content reviews and rewrites coming in and going out. Projects were moved to the next review phase. The only phone call of the entire day was a wrong number. It took only a small bit of detective work to find the correct banker, and ended up being a transposition in the last two digits of the phone number. Now I’ll probably remember the other banker’s number forever. 

Around 4:00 the rain had stopped, the clouds were breaking up, and the sky was tinged with pink. After work, there was a route deviation for a quick stop at Market Basket for a couple items and to check for Tri-Sum original 1908 recipe chips in the odd chance the brand was suddenly carried there. It was a whole lot of nope in the chip aisle. There was a mystery in the cracker aisle with the absence of saltines with salt, which seems to defy the entire concept of SALT-ine crackers, but what do I know. I skipped the salt-free saltines and got the store brand versions of Ritz and Triscuits.

In addition to needed half-and-half and coffee, I got some bonus seafood and clam dip. It was an optimistic accompaniment for the coveted chips that had not yet been confirmed to still not exist in Market Basket, and was later certain would be found at the Hannaford that was on the way home. Hannaford had bags of Tri-Sum chips on the shelf, but not the newly revived 1908 original recipe in the vintage design bag. It was the sad taste of disappointment and a pivot from the planned light supper of chips and dip. It was crackers and dip for the win, but it didn't taste like victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment