Monday, August 16, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 518 (Monday)

Vacation Monday began with leisurely contemplation of house projects. There was a studying of the bathroom walls and a review of previously collected paint chips for color ideas to replace the robin's egg blue. For several years, there has been a fantasy of a backsplash treatment in the kitchen. There was a look at the exterior boards beneath the deck sliders, front door, and back door which are in need of painting. In all cases, the current board was painted in a tannish color close to the boring tan vinyl siding, and in all cases, said paint is peeling and looks shabby. Not like the once trendy shabby chic décor either, more like shabby and neglected.

Oh goody, the water tank is leaking.
A trip was made to the basement to scan the metal shelving unit filled with multiple cans of paint and stain left behind by the previous occupant. There are at least a dozen cans down there, and I was hoping to find one that was the color of the boards. While there, I noticed a puddle on the basement floor near the water heater. Water in the basement during a rain isn’t unheard of, but this seemed out of place. 

I studied the situation like a scientist, meaning I was calm, as if ice water ran through my veins, a condition of which I have been accused, so maybe it really does. I registered no emotions whatsoever. Living alone has taught me many things. One of the most helpful is that there is no point to freaking out when discovering unpleasant things or when stuff goes sideways. There is no audience, it scares the dog and it wastes my energy. The scientific observation revealed there is water dripping from the bottom of the tank. There was a conversation with a plumber who said if it’s leaking it’s likely it needs to be replaced. Oh goody.

In the latest nine day tally of the house versus me, it’s been one toilet repair, one garbage disposal replacement plus a follow-up tweak to allow the dishwasher to drain with said new disposal, six rooms with ultrasonic rodent repellant units installed, and now, a leaking water tank. Until that tank is addressed, all other projects are on hold.

I would roll my eyes and ask “what next,” but trust me, I do not want to know. Plus, it would feel like I was issuing a dare to fate, and I really don’t need to be pushing my luck. Just like Vegas, it seems like the house is the winner.

On the success side of the scorecard, I made it to the bank to deposit two checks and got the band on my bank five year anniversary gift watch adjusted so I can finally wear the thing. Thank goodness for the small victories that tug me back from the cliff of insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment