Wednesday, October 2, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,652 – (Wednesday) –fall day

It was one of those office days where food was the star. A colleague brought in a platter of his wife’s specialty treat -- insanely decadent brownies with a layer of marshmallow and topped with chocolate frosting. Another colleague brought in mini cupcakes for a colleague's birthday. Then, our department head busted out a sample set of Swiss chocolate from his trip to Germany last week. We pounced like a pack of jackals.  

Outside the office.
The counter nearly collapsed from the heft of the calories heaped upon it. But it was all so good! And it motivated me to get my butt out of my chair and take a walk. 

I needed to create distance between myself and the treats, which looked like a cruise ship dessert buffet. The world outside the office food fest was both cloudy and sunny, and the leaves are becoming gold in the distance. 

I went to my favorite downtown store filled with a fascinating array of cheap stuff from China. There are hair gadgets, dishes, clothing including pajama sets with tags claiming to be Calvin Klein, hardware items, and more. Today’s kitchen treasure discovery was an egg slicer ($1.49) to help with my recent fascination with hard boiled eggs from Market Basket. I’ve eaten more egg salad sandwiches and sliced eggs on garden salads in the past few months than in the past decade, thanks to those eggs. Now it will be easier.

Ripples.
I had boldly set out with no jacket and was chilly, which made me walk faster than usual. The water in the canal that runs under Central Street had a rippled surface similar to the textured glass in my shower doors. I probably burned off one entire pineapple chunk from my lunch slice of leftover pineapple and black olive pizza.

On the way back from the store, there was commotion on Central Street. Traffic was snarled and red lights were flashing from six fire department vehicles scattered on Central and around the corner on Middle Street at the TD Bank building/apartment tower. An icky burned electrical smell hung in the air. I didn’t have time to be a looky-loo and was chilly, so I paused only long enough to grab some poorly composed photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment