Saturday, October 8, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 935 (Saturday) –

Like countless weekends before, the current one had a plan. There was a Jack Kerouac commemorative event this morning at the Jack Kerouac Commemorative Park. This was followed by a downtown walk with a guide from National Park Service pointing out Jack Kerouac related spots. Later in the day there were various musical events scheduled. I had printed the weekend’s schedule a couple days earlier and flagged Facebook events for the reminders.

It was a late sleep this morning – 8:00. The multiple awakenings from Winston all week long have taken their toll and leave me tired. He’s often up at midnight and again around 4:00. Of course, he usually sleeps all day while I'm trying to drag my arse through my own.

There was coffee and news and Facebook and when I let Winston outside the first time it felt cold. The next two times were also cold, and when it was time to get dressed to go downtown for the walk, I didn’t. I didn’t dress in cold weather layers shoes appropriate for a 90-minute walk. I stayed in my jeans and slippers and pajama top with the chambray short over it, temporarily donned so I would look sort of dressed when I let Win out. It was cold enough that I didn’t fee l like being outside for it, alone in a crowd, making idle chit chat with strangers and wondering if they thought I am as awkward as I usually feel. It would all take too much effort.

Instead, like countless weekends, I sat on the couch and streamed shows on Netflix. There were movies in the morning and a series with 10 episodes that consumed the afternoon and all night.

Cannolo!
I break plans with myself constantly, but at least I follow through on the food aspect of life. Breakfast was an English muffin with butter and cinnamon sugar. Lunch was two corn tortillas with melted cheese. Supper was ordered in – a large pizza, a burger plate, and a cannolo. The delivery tracker showed the driver on the street, but when I checked, there was nobody out front and no food on the table in the porch. 

The driver was turning in circles in the driveway at the house next door, his face in his phone GPS and my food stack neatly on the roof of his car. Had he bothered to look at the actual houses as he drove down the street, he might have noticed the dark blue numbers attached to the white fence post and on the mailbox. In any event, it made it into my hands.

Most of the huge burger was eaten and some of the fries. The pizza was intended as more of a grocery order and went into the fridge untouched. It will be Sunday lunch and the remainder frozen for future lunches. The planning happens pretty well, and sometimes the execution happens, too, at least when it comes to food. The activities are often abandoned, for a host of reasons. It’s too hot, too chilly, too crowded, too far, too something or other.

No comments:

Post a Comment