Tuesday, May 17, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 799 (Tuesday) – accomplished

The work computer was logged off a few minutes after 5:00 and by 5:20 I was heading to the back yard to liberate the mower from the shed and then trying to start it. It went pretty well, taking only about five tries before it roared to life for the first time this mowing season. The recent sunshine and rain caused the back yard to spring to life and it was suddenly overdue for a cut.

Two spots left and the mower died.
There had been a visit to the back yard a few days ago where the tallest clumps of green stuff were trimmed close to the ground with the giant outside scissors that may or may not actually be hedge trimmers. They work, that is what matters, and who cares what they are called. It's probably quite entertaining for the neighbors too see sections of a lawn being cut with giant scissors. 

The mowing progress was reasonably quick because after years of our seasonal relationship, I am finally finely attuned to the mower's nuances. It lets me know when to take tighter, narrower rows to reduce the opportunity for clogging. I can tell by the sound of the motor when the blade is starting to get bogged down and I need to pause for a second or two to let the clippings clear the output shooter thing. If only I understood humans half as well.

The back yard was a few passes shy of complete when the mower suddenly shut itself off. The engine was exhaling a thin wisp of smoke. I went inside for a minute to let it cool off and when I returned to the mostly tamed grassy expanse, the mower restarted after a few pulls. The front yard was really quick work, being still mostly dead stuff and dirt. The challenge was accepted to mow around the violet clumps.

Late supper quiche.
In under 40 minutes, both yards were done, even with the brief break. I’ve already forgotten what the personal best time is, but this felt close. Once inside, the sinuses started flowing freely and the eyes were itchy.

At 7:00, I realized I hadn’t eaten supper yet and there was a sudden urge to bake a quiche. It’s been months since I last baked something because I wanted to. Tonight’s supper was several hours later than usual and lunch will be good on Wednesday. And it was nice to end the day with a sense of accomplishment. Twice. Too many days slip by without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment