Sunday, September 19, 2021

“Remoted - Hybrid” – Day 552 (Sunday)

The sun was shining and it was a perfect day to be outside. The sky was nearly the shade of blue on the Finnish flag and seemed custom-ordered for the tori (market) at Saima Park in Fitchburg. I hit the ATM on the way and was ready to browse the vendor booths displaying a bit of everything. Hours after being home, there are several additional things I wish I had bought. Danggit.

Tori haul.
I got to chat with the Finnish language teacher, and might enroll in the next class session. The haul I left the tori with was a reikaleipa (rye bread), korpuu (hard toasted coffee bread), Karjalanpiirakka (Karelilan pie), several packs of salmiakki (Finnish licorice), a mug, coasters, and four books. The pulla (coffee bread) sold out early, so that was a purchase fail and I may need to finally make some. The books I got will hopefully help with my Duolingo Finnish lessons until I enroll in an actual class. 

The Karjalanpiirakka and salmiakki nearly didn’t happen. I was in the car with the engine started, ready to roll on to the next part of the day when I remembered I hadn’t gone back to those vendors after my initial reconnaissance. Knowing it could be ages before there was another chance to get these items without a big shipping charge, the car was shut off and I went back up the driveway.

The Karjalanpiirkka were a strategic purchase so I know the intended goal before attempting to make them. As a black licorice lover, I’ve been curious about salmiakki for a long time and got sweet, salty, milk chocolate, and blueberry. The blueberry was really good. The rest are awaiting their taste tests. I was back in the car when I realized I had never looked at the vintage car show that was taking place, but I wasn’t going back.

After the tori, my youngest niece and I headed to the woods to take photos for her yearbook picture. We got some nice ones, but we’re going to keep an eye on the leaves, and if they start changing in the next couple weeks, we may go out again for pictures with an autumn background. It’s impossible to believe my youngest niece is graduating at the end of this school year.

Fresh veggies
sauteed in butter.
There was a vegetable score from the Maine farming relatives via Mom. There are familiar potatoes, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, cucumber and corn, and the unfamiliar rutabaga, which will be a kitchen adventure later this week. For supper, things got all wild and crazy in the kitchen and instead of the usual olive oil, I used butter to cook the squash, zucchini, fresh corn, diced tomatoes and tarragon. I know, it’s wild. With a side of rye bread and fresh cuke spears, it was really good.

Winston stayed close throughout the preparation, sitting nearby quietly and like the perfect gentledog. As a result, he scored many bite-sized squash, zucchini, and cuke treats.

The day had it all – sunshine and nice weather, specialty food shopping, photos, and cooking/eating. It’s pretty much the perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment