Tuesday, September 7, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 540 (Tuesday)

Tomato pie!
Today, the first, and so far only, tomato pie of the season was constructed. The family tomato farmer had said a few weeks ago that the tomatoes were late due to the weather over the summer, but they are ready now. While at Mom’s on Monday, I was gifted with two large ones. This proved to be a good amount for the pie. My basil has been rather sad looking all summer, but I managed to harvest enough leaves for the pie. It turned out there was no green onion, onion, dried onion, frozen onion, or even onion salt, so the pie was lacking that flavor element, but it was okay. The cheese and tomato are the flavors I crave anyway. 

Food production will be increasing throughout this week, in an effort to make life a bit easier next week. With planning, I can minimize next week's lunch and/or supper headaches. There are now portions of quiche and tomato pie in the freezer. It's a start.

While the commute is only two miles, it used to take as long as 15 minutes to exit the parking garage when leaving the office at 5:00. The travel time was anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes depending upon traffic volume due to construction detours, activity at the high school and Tsongas Arena, and foot and auto traffic around the University. To avoid some of this and let the garage volume clear before I was swearing in it, I used to stay at the office until close to 5:30, and often didn’t get home until 6:00. It will be interesting to see how much things are the same. Or different.

All of this feels like a great argument in favor of walking to work, which is a more direct and shorter route. It might be easier to tackle if I had done anything at all for the past 18 months. Unfortunately, I might be hobbled after attempting the journey without some sort of breaking in period. The two days I was in the office over the summer, my shins hurt for a couple days after the quarter mile trip between the garage and office, and I didn't even think about taking the stairs to the fourth floor like I always used to do. I have five days left to get into shape. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment