Wednesday, July 21, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 492 (Wednesday)

The front lawn, freshly cut on Tuesday night, glistened on Wednesday morning with what appeared to be another fresh rainfall. The driveway puddle was refilled, creating, once again,  the magical illusion of waterfront property on a muddy, murky, tiny body of water. All the cars were wet, along with  the asphalt around them.

Summer 2021 is dominated by a water theme and it can stop anytime now. The dampness is gross and reminds me of everything I dislike about seacoast vacation cabins where the woodwork and furniture feel gross and the air smells musty and I never wanted to touch anything. Please make it stop.

The weather forecast for today called for scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon and luckily those didn’t happen. Not near The BungaLowell, anyway. The next three days are forecast to be mostly sunny and with any luck, that will be the case and things will dry out. 

Yard waste pickup finally happened today. My barrel wasn’t full, but it weighed a ton from all the wet grass clippings pulled from under the mower and damp weeds pulled from the ground. After I heard the truck, I went to retrieve the barrel and had a lovely chat with little Captain Underpants next door. He was in a cheerful mood today and told me about all his favorite creatures which include fish, sea turtles, sea horses, and penguins. I was told that sea horses have tails and shown where on his backside his tail would be, and treated to a demonstration of how penguins walk. There were more creatures discussed. Many more. But I’m old and can’t retain more than two or three things before needing to make notes. It was the best summer school class ever.

After work, there was a chiropractor appointment where I learned that while my medical insurance covers chiropractic, and I have already been to about seven appointments, the billing came in and it turns out the co-payment on my plan is $20 higher than the self-pay rate for visits. So much for that benefit to the health plan. It’s self-pay for the win. My neck and middle back are adjusting well, but the lower back is a bit stiff and cranky and my hips are off kilter. All in good time.

Another planned after work activity was a stop at Family Dollar. A master short list had been made, containing 11 items suitable for a full grocery store visit, with a sub-list of four items available at Family Dollar, two of which were most important to maintain harmony in the realm of the Canine Overlord. The list was forgotten at home.

Canine Overlord Mischief Makers.
While walking carefully through the store, mindful of my freshly adjusted spine and hips, there were mental gymnastics in play to try to remember what the two important items were. One was definitely dog biscuits. Various cleaning items were gathered. Non-list chocolate chip cookies were added. Funds were paid. 

The minute I walked into the kitchen and saw the Canine Overlord mischief makers, the important and missing item was remembered – canned dog food for the morning "meatball time" medication delivery. There is not a speck of wet dog food in the palace and I had been rationing what little was left all week. The morning will be a test trying to figure out something in which to bury a capsule. Should be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment