Wednesday, July 14, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 485 (Wednesday)

Today was another day in the office, but it was not a usual office day. There were sixteen people scheduled to come in for photos for a couple projects. Appointments were set at 15-minute intervals from 9:00 to 1:30 and it ran like clockwork. Everybody arrived on time and the photographer is a total master of making people comfortable in front of the camera, so it was brilliant.

The photo shoots happen directly outside my cubicle, so I have a ringside seat to the action, but I usually just keep doing my other work. It can be nerve-wracking enough for people without me watching. While today’s photos were being created, I was reserving ad space in a new magazine, answering questions from vendors about a quote request that went out on Tuesday, posting a fresh news story to the website and a good half dozen other things. The day flew until 4:00 when it suddenly felt like time stood still.

Ravioli and creamy pesto.
At 5:00, there was the trek from the bank to the parking garage. It was nearly 5:25 when I arrived home to the Canine Overlords, nearly two miles away. They  seemed displeased that supper was tardy. Once they were settled, it was time for my own supper of ravioli with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, olives, and a creamy pesto sauce. This was prepared while dodging the living canine obstacle course at my feet. 

Meanwhile, my shins were aching. The two quarter-mile stages of Monday’s rigorous journey between the garage and bank had my shins crying out on Tuesday. This morning they felt better, but the marathon was repeated today, and now they are most unhappy with me again.

It’s a mysterious situation. I wasn’t even trying to beat my personal best speed, and today’s footwear was a very practical and supportive Rockport wingtip oxford. In any event, I can barely walk from the living room to the kitchen without discomfort. When propped on the ottoman, both shins throb, but on the bright side, the pulsating makes them feel very alive. It seems clear that a physical training program will be required for reentry to the office world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment