Saturday, October 10, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,398 (Saturday 10/10) – oopsie

Sorting it out.
A few days ago, I ordered some one-inch precut iridescent glass pieces in diamond, triangle, square, and hexagon shapes. They were one of the discounted items in the behemoth online retailer’s special sale days and were scheduled to deliver today. I was excited to see them in my mailbox, because I have ideas for usage on the drawing table, but as soon as I slid the padded packet out, I knew something was wrong. The package was way too noisy and sounded like a big oopsie. I did not love the sound of broken glass I was sure I was hearing.

Back in the house, I sliced my way into the parcel because the “Tear along perforation” instruction on the padded waterproof envelopes has never worked. The item was wrapped securely in a plastic bag and when the plastic box emerged, fears were confirmed when a lot of iridescent glass slivers and glitter-like glass powder remained in the bag. Larger bits of glass protruded from the molded plastic box which was missing a piece of itself at one end. Clearly some of the pieces had broken.

Damned damages.
To assess the extent of the damage, I slipped into inventory mode and went through the box, sorting the shapes. There were supposed to be 100 pieces, but there was more than that with the additional broken bits. Shapes were sorted and lined up on cardboard. The hexagons, which were the largest shape with the fewest in the collection, suffered the greatest loss as a percentage. Two of the ten hexagons were broken and one was badly chipped. Several of the 30 diamonds were broken. The squares and triangles (30 of each) also had a couple badly chipped and broken pieces.

Instead of diving into the project with the new glass bits, customer service was contacted. Options for a refund or replacement were presented. I really want the pieces for a project, especially the hexagons, so replacement was chosen. Instructions for where to deliver the product for return were provided and I taped the hole in the box to spare whoever has to open it next, taped closed the bag the box was in just in case the box has another failure, and set it all in the padded mailer.

At the return center, the clerk was about to remove the outer packaging but I cautioned against it due to the broken glass bits. We laughed over sending back broken glass and commented on how it is probably needed to damage it out. The return is now done and by Tuesday I should have the hopefully not broken replacement order. There will be plenty of other things to do in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment